94 LS Ignition Switch micro switch - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

94 LS Ignition Switch micro switch

Has anyone repaired the "Key Inserted" micro switch on their ignition. After exhaustive wire repairs, when inserting the key, I get no ground for the gear lockout...ie does not recognize that there is a key in the ignition. I can ground the circuit and all is good, but can apply the brake and shift into gear even when the key is withdrawn in that mode. I am trying to keep the ole boy factory correct and unable to find a new 24V switch.
Thanks guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

There is a guy, robvolz, in Portland, Oregon who is parting out an LS.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:30 PM

The micro switch (I believe it is the black one with an electromagnet inside, to the right and under the ignition) on my 95 ls was wired "up" with a plastic zip when I bought my car. Not sure I understand what this thing is supposed to do but if you can withdraw the key then you may have a problem with the cylinder... or i am not understanding the problem. Pull off the switch and see if it opens and closes as the key is inserted while the ground wire to the switch is grounded elsewhere and it could be a problem with your wiring (extensive wire repairs...) a simple junction that has gone unattached. Check the positive wire for voltage or signal when inserting the key and check the ground wire at the switch for continuity against ground. Could also be a busted micro switch.
My stereo seems to react when I touch my brakes even with the ignition off.... just cannot figure out what went wrong as I used the original stereo power wires when removing the stock unit and amp, filter box....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I tracked it down to the issue of not having any ground coming out of the switch when the key is inserted...according to wire diagram, the grey wire supplies the ground when the key is inserted. Before I take the switch out, I was checking to see if it was possibly serviceable. Thanks for the reply.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:18 AM

Key detect switch ( inside the ignition switch proper) is not operative in your case Mike -- I have never had one apart to see if it can be fixed. If I have time this weekend I'll try to take a look

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode