jc is doin' Giulia - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

We talked about it and decided that we just didn't need to be on an overly expensive branded smart phone all the time, running apps, playing games, talking with family every day, posting an overabundance of pictures, etc. Doesn't do a thing for us, as we know how to use a land line if we need to call someone, or email someone if necessary, read a map to find our way, rarely using GPS except for emergencies. We build our own computers to save lots of money, and make them do what we want, no overly expensive cult brands for us.

Basically, to us the new cars seem to represent the "new toy" syndrome, equipped with stuff which is unnecessary for our enjoyment.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 03-10-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:47 AM

Chris, a very good report.
But I did not hear the most important thing. You would have bought Giulia if you had free 30,000, or spent it on something else.

Quote:
Or the MiTo.....
I was very uncomfortable to use the safety belt. Before I got into the car, I had to take it in my hands.
I sold MiTo.

thicker roof pillars
This irritates me the same.

Maybe instead of cruising in Europe, you with Susan will sit in Rosso (or an airplane from Rimini direct flight to my city) and come to visit us?
Spitfire likes this.

Alfetta 2.0 ,76 Ex / Alfa 75 2.0 TS,91 Ex
Alfa 164 3.0 24V Super,95 / Alfa MITO 1.4 ,09
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Bored Member
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Eugene. We'd love to. What destination city? Would I buy the car if I had "free 30K" layin around? No I don't think so. I don't believe in buying new as they depreciate immediately when driving it off the dealer lot. I also don't believe in paying cash for a car as interest rates are so low. I'm fortunate in that we owe no one anything and we prefer it that way but we realize what good debt is vs. bad. Anyway I got to thinking if I had to blow 30K, what would I blow it on?

I'd buy an experience. Perhaps one of those flights in a Russian Jet fighter I've heard about. Or one of those first class world sailing cruises. IDK, material stuff doesn't do it for me. ciao, chris

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:18 AM
Gold Subscriber

We don't use a landline phone any more. The old wireless handset was playing up and we didn't bother buying a new one. We have a spare cable phone in the cupboard for emergencies. The landline is just there for the broadband modem. My wife, two kids, dad, brother and I are all with the same mobile company so calls and texts are free between us.

As for cars, we have never been able to afford new ones, so have always bought them second hand. If I had the money I might be tempted to buy a Giulia. In the meantime the GT and 159 are wonderful cars and the 3 litre 75 project car is doing a great job getting our son and daughter around. She is living with us until her partner in Brisbane gets out of the army and they find a house down here, at which time her 156 will be shipped down. The 75 keeps me and my son amused tinkering with it and doing mods. Ball joint conversion on the caster arms is the next thing, followed by a wheel alignment and painting and fitting the TS/2.5 bumpers we have waiting. I am proud of rescuing that car and turning it into a reliable and fun car to drive.

Current Alfas
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
!989 75 3 litre (black). Shared project with my son.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.

Past Alfas
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Bored Member
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I'm with oz3 on this. I get more jollies from keeping Rossa and RC going and the way I like them. I think the idea of being tempted is a good point oz. I'm not tempted... That says it for me. ciao, chris

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

That's how we feel about buying new cars, spending money on experiences instead of some expensive thing, toy, etc. We are scheduled to visit the Panama Canal and the Galapagos this year for our 40th, and next year, we take a small expedition style boat cruise from Nome down through the Aleutian Islands, Kodiak, etc, down to Vancouver. The World is so interesting to observe, and we've tried to travel since the early years.

Not only are you sightseeing, you are hopefully changing your viewpoint on the world, how other people live/believe, and how that compares to what you are used to in your own country, for better or worse. So many people don't experience this, alas. And, we found that you don't end up missing what money you spent. We usually rented tiny cars and camped in some countries, el cheapo B&B's and the ilk in others, sometimes crashing with friends.

Del

Seattle

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 03-11-2017 at 10:41 AM.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Gold Subscriber

100% in agreement with Del on the smart phones and with everybody, on new car technology. In the 1980s we got into 1960s Rover P6s because we could buy them really cheap (sometimes people just gave them to us) get parts, and keep them running. It's exciting because on certain episodes of the British show "Endeavor" the cops are driving them, as they were hot cars but extremely safe. They were an absolute dream to work on, beautifully engineered, and the owners and workshop manuals were absolutely how I learned to work on cars. No crappy photos, just really really good drawings, and a list of tools you needed, before you started. Gary still has a 2000TC that runs, mine has a problem with one of the SU carbs, and needs a generator (yeah, that's right). So we're doin' the Alfas mostly now. We've traveled a lot overseas for my business, and actually rolled up in cardboard at the Gard de Nord (sp?) in Paris waiting for a train to the czech republic once, because hotels were just way out of our price range.

I'm glad I don't have to have a Giulia. The nose is beautiful. Yes, the rear not so striking.

We still have flip phones. Guess we're too engaged in the real world to envy the virtual one.

Weather is finally spring-like here in Eastern Oregon, but rain is still coming down.

Appreciate all the commentary - just reinforces that I don't, ever, probably, want a new car...except an electric?

VM
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
What destination city?
Rostov on Don
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostov-on-Don

Alfetta 2.0 ,76 Ex / Alfa 75 2.0 TS,91 Ex
Alfa 164 3.0 24V Super,95 / Alfa MITO 1.4 ,09
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:15 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Touch screens are favoured by companies (not just car companies) for cost reasons, ie. it is easy to write a program than to create a new button, etc.

Personally it is an example of making the user suffer to save a few $'s. The truck I drive as a touch screen computer thing and I have given up using it for its intention and told my boss that I'll not use it until they make it function properly ... so I just don't use it.

Touch screen phones are way behind button phones for usability ... I use to have a Blackberry with buttons. Awesome phone ... now I have to constantly correct txts wih my Samsung touch screen phone, etc.

I believe young people involved in IT design nowadays do not spend the time on usability like we used to back in my IT days, more excited about what they can do with technology instead of asking the important question: Is this really the best for the user?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 03-11-2017 at 01:22 PM.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:27 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
It is interesting to note that the European authorities are now beginning to realize that Diesel engines are worse for smog than they had thought in general, and that they might have to curtail the production of them in the future.
There is politics involved here not just emissions.
Quote:
The diesel Giulietta we drove in Italy performed pretty well, except I kept bouncing the engine off the ridiculously low rev limit, and missed being able to run it higher as we were used to with our gas powered cars. Also, the sound was not Alfa as we know it here in the States. The car came with a 6 speed transmission, which we thought was just fine, although we rarely had the opportunity to get into 6th gear.
It takes time to adjust to driving a diesel. We bought a Mazda 6 diesel and yes I thought the same thing initially but after a month or so got used to changing gear at no rpm and basically you can drive around in 6th gear just about everywhere. It is all about torque not revs and no need to rev them at all. Wonderful car that Mazda was and so fast (yep v8 beating) but in a very, very relaxed way!

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 03-11-2017 at 01:30 PM.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:53 PM

I can somewhat understand the disdain for smartphones and the way everybody seems to constantly have their face in one doing something that's probably completely useless but that slim little 3x5 slab of glass and titanium that fits in my pocket has completely replaced not only my telephone but also my camera. alarm clock, calendar, memo pad, tape recorder, maps, gps navigator and traffic monitor, star charts, calculator, laptop, copier/fax, radio, photo album, newspapers, magazines, OBD2 scanner and more.

How can having all of that in one small gadget be bad?

As for the question of what to do with an extra $30,000 burning a hole in my pocket in regards to a new car? Well I already have my dream sports car, a decent 4x4 and a monster truck so I think it might be neat to have an electric car. Maybe one of the new Teslas (that haven't yet materialized)

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
Giulia is 3 series competition and should be sized accordingly.

The transmission tunnel is wide right at the driver's right calf due to the room needed for the power take off for the awd to the front axle. My Jaguar XF is the same and uses the same ZF system. A Lexus 250/350 is worse using Aisin's version.

Shoulder belt upper mount should be adjustable. Is it in a slot in the b pillar as for a Volvo or actually fixed height?

Window switch location and sun visor issues are common for new designs. Windshield slope and size often do not work well with headliner shape or side window size or shape.

My pet bugbear at the moment is the ZF shift lever. By accepting it is totally electric they have changed the ergonomic operation into a floppy and confusing switch instead of the lever it mimics. The rotary selector used by Jaguar and now FCA is far superior ergonomically. Ergonomic design requires that form follow function and, even more important, form matches the operator's expectation and operating techniques.

Touch screens and gearshift "levers" that are just buttons are just two examples of significant retrograde steps in car control ergonomics.
Spot-on!

Ian

post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:04 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabpilot View Post
Exactly. The benefits of smartphones are enormous, not the least of which is that if you have children they can be in contact with you wherever they are, which is an enormous safety benefit. They also enable you to call for help if you are stranded somewhere. My dad, whose 90th birthday we are celebrating today, has an iPhone and an iPad and drives a 2007 Alfa 147 diesel.

Current Alfas
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
!989 75 3 litre (black). Shared project with my son.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.

Past Alfas
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:07 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabpilot View Post
I can somewhat understand the disdain for smartphones and the way everybody seems to constantly have their face in one doing something that's probably completely useless but that slim little 3x5 slab of glass and titanium that fits in my pocket has completely replaced not only my telephone but also my camera. alarm clock, calendar, memo pad, tape recorder, maps, gps navigator and traffic monitor, star charts, calculator, laptop, copier/fax, radio, photo album, newspapers, magazines, OBD2 scanner and more.

Its not bad but I can tell you that you can have all this and buttons too, instead of touchscreen, and then it is better

Touchscreens have their place but we should not be trying to replace all buttons. Some buttons are still required.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"replaced not only my telephone but also my camera. alarm clock, calendar, memo pad, tape recorder, maps, gps navigator and traffic monitor, star charts, calculator, laptop, copier/fax, radio, photo album, newspapers, magazines, OBD2 scanner and more"

Sounds great. Have to think about it then, lol. Let's see, could get rid of my wrist watch, have fun looking at the star charts, forget the easy to read paper maps and GPS, forget about enjoying reading the newspaper at breakfast, and cancel the easy to read car mags, could load a couple of pix of our cat, retired so don't fax, forget about high fidelity radios in the house, don't tape record anymore, we have better cameras, people send us enough picture calendars of their fav state, retired so no alarm clocks, and, oh yeah, when the house power goes out, the land lines still work, the cell phones circuits don't, or they are filled to capacity thus also down, would get to participate in making butt calls, and having to always carry that 3x5 goodie, and remembering to keep it charged, minding that a battery may blow up on me, and worry about losing it or have it stolen.

So, the smart phones sound like the cat's meow, lol. It's not the cost of the unit, but the monthly/years charges which we think are too expensive for what we would get. I think what happens is people buy one and then shape their lives in order to use it.

Maybe someday, though...

Del

Seattle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode