Wanted Airbag Clock Spring - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Wanted Airbag Clock Spring

I need an airbag clock spring. A bad one will work. Even one that has deployed and is half melted.

I need the 2 bigger terminals that connect to the car harness and at least a couple of inches of wire. Not to the airbag.

I'm trying to repair a Alfa factory airbag tester that someone cut the 2 bigger terminals off for some reason.

Willing to pay for shipping and something for the clock spring if need be.

Thanks

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:33 PM

Garage
Does this look correct? It's the wire that connects from the clock spring to the airbag.
Attached Images

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:52 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Jim I have one with chassis end wire in good shape send me a PM with address.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily drivers: USA models - 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO;

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Needing TLC non-blackbeast the 93 164L

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazizza View Post
Does this look correct? It's the wire that connects from the clock spring to the airbag.
Thanks. But its the other end I need.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:27 AM

Garage
Does anyone know if the airbag clock spring out of the 164 is interchangeable with other makes/models? I'm looking to replace the whole unit.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Gold Subscriber

Not to my knowledge, but the series I and series II US-market 164 clock springs are the same. It's basically a function of the steering wheel/airbag package, both series use Kolbenschmidt-Magna steering wheels with Bayern Chemie airbags. Alfa before and after tend to have TVR.

white '92 164 S (67K)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
Quote:
Does anyone know if the airbag clock spring out of the 164 is interchangeable with other makes/models? I'm looking to replace the whole unit.
Are you sure the clockspring is bad? To test, disconnect both ends from the car wire harness and the airbag squib unit. Then jumper the airbag end with a paperclip and then test continuity at the wire harness end. If the spring tension has been released inadvertently, it can be reset.

If you're getting a code 35 (open circuit) fault code, it may be a bad airbag squib itself. That's what happened to me, although that code might logically point to a bad clockspring. If you are getting a code 35 (open circuit) or a code 36 (bad airbag squib), disconnect the clockspring wire to the airbag and substitute in a 2 ohm (NOT 2k ohm) resistor in the clockspring connector, clear codes and see if it faults again.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 03-13-2017 at 06:21 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:21 PM

Garage
Thanks for the detailed rundown on testing the clock spring.

The airbag was replaced years ago (after being deployed by the previous owner) and the mechanic at the time never fixed the wiring. The connector that attaches to the airbag from the clock spring was fried and the mechanic just taped a new connector to the inside of the airbag housing without soldering it to the existing wires running from the clock spring. I am looking to change out the entire clock spring (connectors and all) and not have to worry about soldering wires that connect to an item as important as the airbag. This is my first time dealing with this, not even sure if I'm thinking it out clearly.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:

The airbag was replaced years ago (after being deployed by the previous owner) and the mechanic at the time never fixed the wiring. The connector that attaches to the airbag from the clock spring was fried and the mechanic just taped a new connector to the inside of the airbag housing without soldering it to the existing wires running from the clock spring. I am looking to change out the entire clock spring (connectors and all) and not have to worry about soldering wires that connect to an item as important as the airbag. This is my first time dealing with this, not even sure if I'm thinking it out clearly.
You will need the airbag computer also. As airbag deployment sets a permeant fault code that can not be cleared. With a fried clockspring I doubt they replaced the computer. I would also guess if the airbag light is not coming on they took the bulb out.

You also might need to 2 front sensors.

I just got 2 more.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:36 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Jim I sent you a PM couple days ago on that melted clock spring I have that has good chassis wiring end did you see it?

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily drivers: USA models - 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO;

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Needing TLC non-blackbeast the 93 164L

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
Jim I sent you a PM couple days ago on that melted clock spring I have that has good chassis wiring end did you see it?
I sent another PM. There is no record of the first PM I sent. I guess it disappeared into cyber space.

I just got 2 more.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:15 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:

Call Larry at APE. He should have a clockspring and R22 control unit laying around.

Also go to the For Sale/Wanted topic and do a search "Parting out." There are several cars listed as being parted out in the last 9 months or so. 67Ossodisepia has one listed back in October I think.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 03-15-2017 at 06:21 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
You will need the airbag computer also. As airbag deployment sets a permeant fault code that can not be cleared. With a fried clockspring I doubt they replaced the computer. I would also guess if the airbag light is not coming on they took the bulb out.

You also might need to 2 front sensors.
The service records that were passed down to me are mostly handwritten invoices. The actual worked performed is difficult to decipher, not to mention it was done back in 2001. Currently, the airbag light flashes upon startup then remains lit.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
Call Larry at APE. He should have a clockspring and R22 control unit laying around.

Also go to the For Sale/Wanted topic and do a search "Parting out." There are several cars listed as being parted out in the last 9 months or so. 67Ossodisepia has one listed back in October I think.
Thanks for the tip. I just Googled APE (never heard of it) and got Alfa Parts Exchange. I really need to get acquainted with the best sources for parts. Clearly, I can't rely on just one or two sources like with a traditional vehicle.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:54 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Currently, the airbag light flashes upon startup then remains lit.
You should pull the fault codes from the airbag computer before you do anything.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode