Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Car Damaged or Let the Restoration Begin!

3K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Del 
#1 ·
Hello colleagues,

My 17 year old son rear ended someone while driving my LS on his way to school. He is fine and the other car had very little damage. It appears the Alfa took the brunt of the damage. It was heart breaking for me. I had them tow the car to my house and I just parked it with the cover on it. I could not look at it for a while. I called USAA and after initial comments that they may total the car, their estimator said it was fixable and have agreed to pay for the repairs.

I found a reputable European car body shop near my office and he actually has a 164L as a project car at his facility. That made me feel better as he can use that car for base measurements if needed. I have also engaged him to replace a damaged passenger door and to go ahead and paint the rest of the car. So let the restoration begin!

Now the search for parts. I gave him phone numbers for Jason at Alfissimo, De Fatta Brothers and APE. We will need chrome strips for the front and the right side, a fender, a hood as well as other trim items. Anyone have ideas on where to find such parts?

I also want to swap over to the European style head lights. I have followed Frank's postings and it appears there are none available at this time. If anyone has any ideas or has some, let me know.

The timing for the restoration was not what I was hoping for as my son is getting ready to attend Louisiana State University as a freshman this fall. However, after this happened, we received a very generous scholarship discount from LSU. I am very blessed in many ways. After the body work is done, on to the interior shop to have them replace my front seat covers and possibly repair the passenger side one as well. Hopefully by the end of the summer, the car should look brand new.

I will keep you updated on progress and send along any tips or suggestions on parts.

Cheers everyone.

Jeff
Dallas, Texas

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It might be cheaper to buy a parts car.

I purchased one for $750.

Check around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
Awww. Sorry to see that. Automatic emergency braking cannot come too soon. Don't know what caused this one, though.

The worst part to find will be that shiny trim strip on top of the front bumper. Years ago diFatta was able to get me new side strips for my LS, so might try them., or Jason (Alfissimo), both getting shipments from Italy. Luckily, the front bumper otherwise looks to be undamaged. Lucky for that.

Don't worry about the European headlights until the other work is finished. As compared to what Frank is using (Elmas?), most use Bosch, which are more available from Europe one way or the other. Sad to say, the exorbitant shipping costs from OZ kinda negate purchasing the Bosch being offered from there. However, they are available there as well. Those will be right hand drive (as will be the ones from GB), but they can be changed to left hand drive by rotating the internal cutoff shield. It's held tight by a screw in a slotted hole.

#5 ·
I have all those parts. Really straight and rust free.

The question is how to get them to you.

I'm happy to wrench this weekend, it will be sunny for once.

My champagne colored LS was rear ended so the front is still perfect.

Again, I promise I'll be cheaper than all the others listed, but getting the parts to a shipper might be the most difficult part of this. I don't know shipping and am limping these days.

Call me at 503-267-2800 so we can hash this out.

#6 ·
jeffb99tx,

It appears that robvolz has been added to your list of blessings.

I wonder who's responsible for that?! :)

Ray

Reactions: jeffb99tx
#8 ·
Hey,

Let me know when you'll be in town. I would enjoy a get together:)

Ray

#9 ·
Update: the body shop has received authorization to fix the car as more damage was found once the hood was opened up. I am still looking for the front chrome strip if anyone has any leads on such item.

Body shop had sprayed the underside of the new hood and I swear it looked almost black in color. He assured me it is the dark blue factory color. I sure hope so.

Cheers everyone,

Jeff

#10 ·
Status update: all of the parts have been secured and it appears that the body work has been completed. They are preparing it for paint, which will probably be next week. Big thanks out to the suppliers including Jason, Di Fatta Brothers, Frank in Portland and even Vick Auto Sport. It has new European headlights, a new rear passenger door and a driver's mirror that has been well prepared so that it should not rust away like the old one.

Once paint is done, it's off to my mechanic to get the engine running. Then off to interior shop for some work on my drivers seat covering. It will cost some coin but it is still way less expensive than an a new Giulia.

Photos coming when it gets out of the body shop.

Cheers.

#13 ·
I had the same damage on my LS, no one would ship a hood so I ended up buying a parts unit....the parts unit comes in handy a lot....far beyond the needed replacement parts...small items..missing bolts, incorrect bolts, things like wiper motors, a relay, whatever if you can store one it will save hassle and money in the long run..

#14 ·
Yup, once bent, esp back just ahead of the hinges at the "safety" locations, the laws in the US anyway will not allow the hood to be repaired, must be replaced. And if a reclamation/wrecking location won't ship a used hood (I spect they would if you paid through the nose for it), buying a parts car may be the only option if the hood cannot be transported privately.

#16 ·
The body shop I selected actually had a 1991 L as a "project car". The shop owner says he is looking for a replacement engine to get this car back up and running. A very optimistic statement based on what I saw. He ended up selling me his hood for my 1994, at a good price for him I am sure. That is how we worked that out.

I just hope they can get everything to fit once the painting is done. A few of the doors are sagging a bit and the hood fits very close to the windshield wiper (like that all do).

Thanks.

#18 ·
Update: Car wrecked in February, came out of body shop in April and went to mechanic. Turns out that the timing belt skipped 3 notches during the hit and then shut off. Valves were bent on the front 3 cylinders. Don't ask me how that is even possible as I do not know. Mechanic repaired front head with lots of new parts including values and guides, gasket and head was planed. He installed the new headlights (thanks Jason!), secured the radiator and transmission oil cooler. He also cleaned up the wiring that was just hanging there, fixed the AC and alternator, and secured the front bumper chrome strip that was also hanging loose. Lastly, he cleaned up the panel gaps for the hood and one of the passenger doors I had replaced, and adjusted my sagging drivers door. Overall he did a lot of work. Insurance company would not pay for the mechanical work as they had already paid up the $6,900 they thought the car was worth. I paid off the mechanic and the car is now going back to the body shop for them to fix some below par work they did on a few items. They should be done in a few weeks. I will send over photos when it gets done.

In hindsight, it probably should have been totaled. My advice for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation is if you can, wait about 3 to 4 months before you make your decision if you want to spend the extra funds to fix something that should have been totaled. The time will allow the emotional attachment to diminish and you can then make a more rational decision. Thanks for all who sold me parts, gave advise and just plain moral support. I believe after driving it again, the emotional attachment will return. It does look really good with the new paint and the Bosch headlamps, and it is running very well.

Cheers.

Jeff

#19 ·
I have a NOS front chrome strip if someone still needs one.

#22 ·
Jeff you probably did spend way too much especially if the insurance settlement did not cover everything.
However, it is done and that dubious investment should be enjoyed as you go forward.
Thing is these cars return so much pleasure when they do go well.
I bet you still find value in your dollars spent on that car.
Try and find anything similar new for less than 50K.
Stay away from "10 year old Quattroportes"......big money there....

Ta,

Neville.

#23 ·
The repairs are almost all done and here is a photograph of the final product taken at the ItalianCarFest 2017 by another photographer. I went ahead and had the whole body resprayed and it looks great. More photos to follow when I get some time and find a suitable background.

Cheers everyone.

Jeff

Attachments

#26 ·
Thanks Richard2 and Zenhead. While I was the only 164 in the show, mine was not the only 164 there. Cmalfa came by and we had a great time catching up on car stories and I got to see his '91. There is still some over-spray in the engine bay that needs to be polished out. I really like the headlight upgrade. They are much brighter. I also swapped out my driver's side front seat covers with a spare cover I had accumulated almost 7+ years ago. I will definitely be keeping this car for a few more years.

I will get some more photos posted in a few weeks. We are heading to Baton Rouge to see my son at LSU this weekend, so no opportunities for Alfa photos.

Cheers everyone.

#28 ·
Ditto!

VM

Reactions: jeffb99tx
#30 ·
Yes Del. It is dark blue with tan interior, one of my favorite color combinations. There are some minor panel fitting items on the nose but it was smashed very hard. Overall they did a good job getting everything to fit.

Photos to come.

Thanks everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.