Alfa Romeo Forums banner

ignition question

899 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Alfisto Steve 
#1 ·
regarding the key ignition on the steering column, mine works fine but is completely stripped. I can remove the ignition key in any setting which bugs me. I get the impression new ignition cylinders are not available so I would have to go used. My question is, can the replacement ignition be coded to match my current set of keys or would I need to get new keys to match the replacement ignition? I hope this all makes sense and please forgive me if I'm not using the proper terms here but hopefully I'm explaining it clearly enough that I'm making myself understood.

#4 ·
It's a little tricky, but I've done 2. Steve probably has a write up in the maintenance section.
You need to remove the top section of the steering column cover, grind a slot in the blind screw holding the switch in, disconnect the wiring harness an giggle it out.

#5 ·
Oh, same as the Milano. I've done that without much trouble. There has been a recent write up about that in the Milano section? To cut the slot in the blind screw, I just used one of those simple plastic hacksaw blade holders which leaves a free end. Then I used an angle screwdriver. With the wires unplugged from the switch, it just pulls out.

#6 · (Edited)
Easy Peesy, piece of cake, yada yada yes ONLY once you have done it once or twice - removing ignition switch that is!

Should we tell you where the two or more hidden screws are to get the steering column cover off? You need to remove two of them hidden by steering wheel with motor running and power steering working so you don't upset the shaft seals in the steering rack by turning wheel with no P/S pressure.

As for taking it apart and resetting tumblers and springs now that may take some doing.

I drove and sold twice QS2 my old 164L with ignition switch like yours and once in awhile the key fell out while driving and I just picked it up when I stopped car and wanted to shut engine off.

I would suggest you get another good used ignition switch first and if you can find a good locksmith ask him for an estimate and if he would rekey it to your current key before you bother taking out your ignition switch. OR just have two keys one for doors and one to start the engine.

OBTW I have keyless and with key used switches in stock. Two prices as you can imagine as one without a key not much use without that professional locksmith willing to rekey it.

PM me and we can discuss terms.

#8 ·
Just so you all know he has 24v model so ignition switch is different from all us 12v dudes.

I see he mentions 94LS in his window switch post and those are different, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.