Alfa Romeo Forums banner

New listing on ebay!

948 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  144 
#1 ·
#5 ·
R2 at least it does not sound like the over rev'ed engine has not yet made as much shrapnel as that red S you bought for pennies on the dollar after engine was toast!.

#6 ·
The original engine in my red care was seized...wouldn't turn with a 1/2" torque bar and 4' extension. There was coolant in the air filter and metal behind the throttle plate. The biggest piece of piston I could find out of #2 was the size of a golf ball. 2 liners in pieces and one bent connecting rod. It was a mess. The poor seller had lost his job in the economic down turn and a potential buyer destroyed it on a test run...missed a shift at 6,000rpm so the story goes. I bought it with the blown engine, rebuilt the one out of my totaled black car and it's been my daily driver for 7 years or so. Wish I still had the pics of that blown engine. It was a real mess!!!

#8 ·
My filter is set for 164.

#9 ·
I'm definitely not a fan of buying, or working on Alfas, or any other vehicles that have spent any time where they use salt on roads, or have spent time near the ocean. Been there. Done with that!!!

#10 · (Edited)
I once bought a spare set of used S shocks from someone back east, and they were pretty rusted even though they had only about 60k miles on them. Turns out they corrode pretty badly where the attachment flanges wrap around the lower shock tube and are spot welded to the tube. Usually you see bulging in the flange from the swelling of excessive corrosion between the flange material and the tube. I regard this as potentially a hazardous situation at the least. The manufacturer should have done a much better job of protecting this area.

It would really behoove all who have a 164 where salt is used on the roads to carefully inspect that area in each strut at the first opportunity, esp since winter (and salt) is coming again, and treat it with a strong rust stopper solution a few times and then a rust prevention paint, and hope for the best. After all, once that joint is corrosion damaged/weakened too much, the shock cannot be salvaged, or used with a reasonable degree of safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.