Ignition Module Failure in 164 24V - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Rather than risk breaking a brittle connector, I'll ask a dumb question:

What is the correct way to remove the connector to the coil pack?

Downward pressure on the wire or lift up on it with flathead screwdriver.

Name:  IMG_0238.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  47.2 KB

1995 164 LS 5 speed 78K
owned since new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 08:09 AM

I;ve never had good luck pushing down and pulling off. I completely remove that wire from the connector before I take the plug off, push the wire down and use a small pointed scribe on the side; lever the side out, get one side loose, then it comes off. Make sure you don't lose it. Once you get the hang of it they come off in 10 seconds.

goats

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump --speedo been around at least twice -- [B]needs new oil rings[/B]!
1995 LS Q runners Auto Green/tan [B]230K[/B] 100% LCD paint absolutely SHOT!
1995 LS 5 speed Green /tan 48K Q runners squadra chip 100 % LCD -- nice tight car
Misc parts laying around for 24V and 2Liter- always need more it seems
2004 Tacoma 4 door TRD (wifes car/kid hauler)- 172K
Mission Vsi, Mission Mod 2, - 20+ years of hockey on these!
radio flyer- rusty from disuse!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:33 AM

Personally, I push down on the clip wire with a finger and then pull the connector by the connector body - never the electric wires.
Good luck :-)

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:40 PM

Hi cargomaz,

I also have a 95 LS and am slowly replacing coils as they fail (the original ones) and am in the middle of a conversion to a much cheaper set of coils. They are a Hitachi unit used by VW and Volvo I believe and are significantly cheaper and would bypass the amplifier modules. I just received the parts and have confirmed the signal that the Motronic ECO on our 164 uses to fire the current Amplifier modules. I now need to verify that the same signal will fire these coils and then go ahead and bolt one in and see what happens. This mod would require some harness soldering but would take the amplifiers out of the equation and reduce maintenance costs significantly. c.S.
Milanoguy and horsewidower like this.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:45 PM

I haven't put the oscope on the ECU output to verify the trigger pulse, but it might be (maybe) disclosed in the service manual. Csduetto, what data do you have re: the trigger pulse? I presume it is simply frequency modulated on a defined pulse width and amplitude but that's just a guess on my part

goats

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump --speedo been around at least twice -- [B]needs new oil rings[/B]!
1995 LS 5 speed Green /tan 48K Q runners squadra chip 100 % LCD -- nice tight car
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 03:09 PM

Hi Goats - it is a 5msec square wave pulse of 3VDC based on RPM - now I need to confirm that this same trigger will work with the coils I have purchased and see how well they bolt on to the engine. Will keep you in the loop. c.S.
Milanoguy likes this.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Gold Subscriber

Keep us informed on that swap. Those are excellent coils. I always prefer "smart" coils if they fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STILL learning.

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"I also have a 95 LS and am slowly replacing coils as they fail (the original ones) and am in the middle of a conversion to a much cheaper set of coils"

I've been lucky so far, as I've had no failures (or whatever) to date with 110k miles on the LS. My feeling is that the housing of the original coils cracks after a while, perhaps due to heat, dirt and pollution gets into the cracks, and this provides a path for the unit to short out to the nearest part of the head.

I will sure keep an eye on this, as some day I might have to change at least one. Hope this works.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:40 AM

So was able to run the bench test today using a Square wave to simulate the ECU pulse and Current Monitoring on the Power Supply. The wiring on the bench was as follows (note that pins in the Hitachi Module PN CM11-201 also known as VW 06B905115E) Pin 1 - PWR, Pin 2 &4 - GND, Pin 3 - Trigger. This resulted in a nice fat spark. I played around with the Input Trigger and the current consumption went from 1.3A to about 3A. Next I measured how much of a load the trigger input (Pin 3) presents to the Function Generator to understand if the ECU output on the Alfa is going to have issues in driving it. With the unit firing at 100Hz stimulus I got about 2.55mA on a meter and a 0.5V drop in my signal. So very small load. I am suspicious now that the initial 3Vp-p reading in the car would be higher if I could monitor that signal without the load of the amp modules on it. As it turns out the ECU only has 3 wires which are split to each amp modules so there are two parallel loads on each of those Trigger lines from the ECU. So one would have to be running on 4 cyl for a short time to measure this signal unloaded. I will likely try one of these coils in the car later today and see what I get. Stay tuned. cS
Attached Images

Last edited by csduetto; 03-14-2017 at 08:39 AM. Reason: adding pics
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 AM

the output from ECU is likely a tri-state device so I doubt (but its worth checking) that removal of the other two wires will result in a meaningful difference. Does your VW coil have discreet amplifier circuit in it? Seems like it would since its getting power (12v? to pin 1). What is the current draw of pin 1?

THe trigger pulse from ECU just gives the darlington amplifier enough forward bias - I presume its .7 v and a couple mA to set it going.

Do you have a spec sheet on the new coil?

goats

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:35 AM

Hi Goats - the current consumption at Pin 1 depending on the 'ON' time of the square wave and FREQ varied from 1.3 to 3A. I wish I had a spec sheet on the Coil from Hitachi but do not - would be grateful to anyone who could locate it. The reason I am suspicious of the 3V measured ECU signal is that the advertised output of the ECU signal is 5V but when the car is idling and this O/P is feeding two of the darlington base inputs I am guessing these loads are dropping the voltage to 3Vp-p. My hope is that based on what I have measured on the bench that the load of these newer coils would be lower which would mean a better rising edge on the trigger pulse and a more precise spark on the other end - theoretically c.S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode