Alfa Romeo Forums banner

164 LS Windshield Wiper Arms.

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Evgeny 164 
#1 ·
The wiper arms are not making full contact with the windshield.

I have tried different brands of replacement wiper blades.
None of them make 100% contact with windshield. My thought is the spring under the wiper arm may have become stretched over the years.

The local auto parts stores do not have replacement wiper arms.

Has anyone had any luck with an aftermarket wiper arm ?

#2 ·
Not had that problem with our 94LS. The driver's side arm is articulated. You would have trouble finding something which would fit that location.

You might go to a hardware store and peruse their collection of springs to see if they have one which would be similar but slightly stiffer, ie, higher spring constant.

#4 ·
Spring is not likely to blame . I was here this curved part. It looked up .

I did not use a vise and a hammer . Now take out this axle.

Next, it is necessary to grind off a little area .
Look closely at the structure of Wiper Arms.

#5 ·
Rather than describing that the arm hits the underside of the rear of the hood when parked, a common problem with the LS, he makes it sound like the arm is not pressing the blade down hard enough onto the glass, thus the blade is not making contact all along the full length of the blade, Is that correct?

Luckily, on my LS, I don't have a problem with the arm hitting the underside of the hood worth talking about, nor do I have the other problem.

#6 ·
Rather than describing that the arm hits the underside of the rear of the hood when parked, a common problem with the LS, he makes it sound like the arm is not pressing the blade down hard enough onto the glass, thus the blade is not making contact all along the full length of the blade, Is that correct?
Yes, wiper is not good pressed against the glass. And hood touches a wiper when it is in the parking .

#7 ·
That does then make it sound like the spring might be the problem he is most worried about. The arm hitting the hood, as with most LS, wouldn't cause that.

However, the arm hitting the hood when parked is a very common problem for these cars. Your ideas about correcting that are good, look effective. So far, I haven't had to worry about THAT particular fix, lol.

#9 · (Edited)
My impression has been through the years is that some aftermarket replacement blade assys (not just the bare replacement blades, but also the blade holder assys) don't bend as easily, ie, too straight because the product is just too stiff. I have always used the original Alfa blade assys (with the cute little "Alfa Romeo" script on them), using Bosch replacement blades only (yeah, a little hard to find these days). That way my Alfas have always had the original as intended flexibility total assys.

Most seem to use these aftermarket blade assys because they are inexpensive, but I refuse to. I've found that the OEM as delivered spreader assys never wear out, just the actual replaceable blade itself, so I go that way.

Try a different brand of blade assys. If that doesn't fix the problem, get new or used arms from an Alfa parts source such as DiFatta, Jason, APE. Or, as I suggested before, try going to a hardware store to see what they have in the way of springs. You never know.

#10 ·
Very interesting, how long " live " original wipers ?
I have been using for many years, Bosch Eco.

Sometimes , in winter, I use ALCO , them are in a rubber cover and the water does not penetrate inside, and the wiper does not freeze .

Their is guaranteed work for 1 year . That is, each pair can work 2 seasons . Their price is funny for a pair of $6-8 .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.