BB4 - 1993 164L How goes it REHAB thread - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
Steven too late, Dean from TrailAuto in Dearborn, MI and UPS delivered it Friday. Is this the one you have? I have five (5) 164s would love to have another spare since I gave Joe my last one I had.

Wonder why R/R is the one that goes first? Is it fuel spills from filler tube? Seems like R/R fender flare the one to rust first, too. I bet gas spillage washed out waxing compound inside body skins.

Dean and I have been helping each other out for many years. Him more than me but, I have been able to supply him some GTV6 stuff when he needed it. All that GTV6 stuff of mine now gone.
I live 10 minutes from Dean (5 miles) and he's 5 minutes from work. That means two things:

1) I can ride a bike there if I'm down to zero running cars
2) I can nurse my commuter 164 there on my way to/from work if need be.

Yesterday the car was stumbling (distributor cap cracked) and I was tempted to just pull a used cap from his collection...

Graham
88 Milano Verde "Corvino", 91 164L 5spd, 79 Sprint Veloce, 85 GTV-6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Robbing BB4 for BB2

I pulled off down pipes, cat convertor and cat mounting bracket from non-BB4 today as it appears I am going to have to downgrade BB2 my 164S to 164B/L down pipes, cat and center muffler as I have major noise around my S cat and i can't feel any leaks from below. I think maybe crack or rust hole in top of S dual pipe out cat.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily drivers: USA models - 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO;

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Needing TLC non-blackbeast the 93 164L

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #33 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Let the Save another 164 Rescue Society Project begin

What is an Alfisti to do for a hobby?

I put BB4 into Examination and Evaluation (E&E) Mode today. Depending on outcome I may go into Planning and Estimation (P&E) phase.

Some disassembly pre-E&E today.

I pulled false firewall to check out evaporator, blower motor, heater core and wiper motor.

I got my 2004 repair work order with the car and I see I installed a new heater core in Feb 2004 and it still looks good.

The blower motor looks new as it is the green shade of later post Saab yellowish ones of yore. I will take it out of blower housing and check wear on brushes and armature. PO Mike may have changed it after 2004.

Some leaves and such were removed with shop vac.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 03-01-2017 at 01:51 PM.

post #34 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Moved BB4 into garage (Que) today

Moved BB4 into garage (Que) today.

ML lost her Malibu parking place. That will teach her to goes to her sister's for the long weekend!
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #35 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Alfa 164 wiring 101 today!

Had I paid more attention to wiring when I took out the engine last year I would have had a better clue to to Why The Frap this mystery orange wire was spliced into Non-BB4 at G151 harness.

Today I started out to inspect the wire harness(es) coming out of the firewall just to the left of the heater core/blower motor area and luckily only found one wire with the infamous flaking off insulation.

It was the 16 gauge yellow wire that goes to pin 2 of the blower fan motor Q31 speed controller that is mounted on the heat sink in front of a/c evaporator box and then goes to pin 27 of the a/c control panel Q21a ECU in center of dash. The insulation was was flaked off all the way from rubber grommet in firewall to 4-pin connector at Q31.

I spliced in a new yellow wire and by using a heat shrinkable pink crimp-able connector right as firewall rubber grommet and covered it with more heat shrinkable tubing using my heat gun.

Then I re-wrapped all the compromised wiring harnesses running from firewall grommet to all the a/c system components that are located behind false firewall.

THEN, I noticed a orange wire coming out of the firewall between L/F sunroof drain tube and wiper motor.. I pulled out instrument cluster and found orange wire spliced into gray wire going to pin 4 in C connector going to instrument cluster and a second orange wire going to cruise control ECU pin 12 gray wire in center console in front of radio area.

Turns out after looking at engine harness I took out with engine there is another orange wire spliced into gray wire in engine harness near big round G151 connector.

It turns out this gray wire is the sine wave and 5v signal wire from the speedometer sender located in the transmission differential that goes to instrument cluster interface, cruise control ECU and a/c panel ECU.

I guess the gray wire is bad somewhere between G151 connector and instrument cluster and cruise control ECU and a/c panel in dash.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 03-07-2017 at 02:14 PM. Reason: corrected wiring info
post #36 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

You can't have to many spare parts -101 Non-BB4

You can't have to many spare parts -101 if you want to bring'em back from the "dead zone".

1. Had to replace rubber drain tubes for A/C compartment. Found two good ones that must have come from Old Nero the donor as they were still pliable.
2. Next I had to replace broken hose clamp on heater core supply hose. I wondered why it was "loose" when I took heater core out. Heater core was replaced in 2004 and still looks fine so gonna reuse it.
3. Next I found broken side wall on blower motor housing where pivot points used to be for temp doors. Picture shows broken side wall and good side wall of replacement spare housing I had in stock.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #37 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Next I removed blower motor from damaged blower housing inspected armature and brushes for wear and removed squirrel cage fan and oiled both inner and outer bearings.

Installed motor in good spare housing with repaired temp door lever arm.

Will test motor with 12v power before I install it back in BB4.

It looks like later Bosch -108 motor and fan blade is green and not yellow like the Saab fan blades that were in early 164 so I am guessing it has been replaced like heater core was.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #38 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Now, I got to look for a good spare evaporator box or wait for PB Blaster to free up stepper motor arm shaft frozen to recirculation door which has come off pivot point.

This 93L has been rode/road hard and put away to rust in place it seems.

Well, I dug around in the attic and found a better evaporator box with R134a expansion valve and a recirculation door stepper motor I could get to come off recir door as well as low and high side hoses and a usable condenser.

I staged the stash in the engine bay and will work on installing the stuff another day.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 03-08-2017 at 12:05 PM.
post #39 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

Talk about diving in head first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STILL learning.

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona
post #40 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
Talk about diving in head first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This man has to have a car hobby to stay off the computer and out of LayZ recliner.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Weather nice, so worked on BB4 To Be 164L

I installed heater core, blower motor, and evaporator assemblies.

I hooked up all the red power wires with a bolt and nut so I could apply power to chassis and tested blower motor, stepper motors and opened sun roof to blow out front drain tubes.

Blower works on all 4-speeds, all three stepper motors functions work- temp, air direction and recirculation door.

Off to monthly Alfa club dinner meeting at 6 pm.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 03-20-2017 at 01:44 PM.
post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Another nice day to work on Non-BB4

Helped out my ACC men's group (Ascension Contruction Crew) this morning helping on maintenance projects at church and then this afternoon turned some wrenches on BB4 to be.

I replaced power steering reservoir and hoses from it to P/S pump and cooler tube.

Replaced clutch hose from steel line to slave cylinder.

Replaced brake master cylinder, hoses to reservoir and reservoir.

Bleed front brakes.

Replace two fuel line hoses between steel lines in right corner of engine bay.

Finished up some A/C components install and installed false firewall.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Sure a lot easier to do this stuff with engine out of car.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:58 PM
Gold Subscriber

BB4 - 1993 164L How goes it REHAB thread

STILL learning.

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
... back at you. How do you like my empty plastic bread wrappers on my axles inner CV joints?

I try to recycle when I can. Newpaper wrappers work good when taking Buster for walks, too.

Have a nice Sunday folks.

Speaking up walking Buster I am off to do it.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode