BB4 - 1993 164L How goes it REHAB thread - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 12:48 PM
Gold Subscriber

I think I found it if you want to cancel that order. It's about 2 feet long with a sharp U at one end, and a ca. 120° in the middle. Excellent condition. Mine is free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Is this the one you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinino View Post
I think I found it if you want to cancel that order. It's about 2 feet long with a sharp U at one end, and a ca. 120° in the middle. Excellent condition. Mine is free.
Steven too late, Dean from TrailAuto in Dearborn, MI and UPS delivered it Friday. Is this the one you have? I have five (5) 164s would love to have another spare since I gave Joe my last one I had.

Wonder why R/R is the one that goes first? Is it fuel spills from filler tube? Seems like R/R fender flare the one to rust first, too. I bet gas spillage washed out waxing compound inside body skins.

Dean and I have been helping each other out for many years. Him more than me but, I have been able to supply him some GTV6 stuff when he needed it. All that GTV6 stuff of mine now gone.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily drivers: USA models - 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO;

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Needing TLC non-blackbeast the 93 164L

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 05-22-2016 at 03:42 PM.
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

Yes, exactly. With five—I tip my hat—you need it before me, I'll send it to you on Tuesday.

post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinino View Post
Yes, exactly. With five—I tip my hat—you need it before me, I'll send it to you on Tuesday.
Thanks, I will treasure it.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Post-OP recovery mod trying to go slow on Alfa work

I had my Green Laser Photoselective vaporization on my prostate on Tuesday morning so little limited in my wrenching.

Felt good enough this morning to field strip the guts out of inside of Non-BB4.

All the seats and the headliner come out and I am now repairing sun-roof panel surrounding bezel.

I gave the new used to me front and rear seats for it another Kiwi black liqiud polish treatment.

Have to take Buster to the vet in a few minutes when ML gets back from beach house. We are a tag team.

Back from Buster Butt getting his glands expressed, once the vet put a muzzle on him he was no trouble at all.

Here are some pix of my days work:
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 05-26-2016 at 01:22 PM.
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

JB Weld does the trick and stick.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Indoor play day due to rain and Post-OP recovery

Still recovering slowly from my prostate surgery but getting better.

Worked on building up spare headliner carcass from Old Nero the Donor to install in Non-BB4. I had recovered it years ago and had it stored away.

Dining room table worked fine as work bench as ML gone to beach house to ready it for summer rental starting next weekend.

I managed to install repaired sun roof panel bezel surround and front cross trim piece I repaired both from Non-BB4.

I have to find a driver's side sun visor as old one from BB4 broken off.

MAARC blanket on guest room bed is from our local AROC-USA chapter.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

FINALLY Got some time of my own

Beach house now in the hands of property manager for the summer yippee!

Thanks Steven for R/R brake line. I got it installed and did a poor boy partial brake bleed So took Non-BB4 around the block after I bled brakes and installed rehabbed driver's seat I got from Al.

Do you think old brake line was a bit rusted?

PIZZA comfort food for supper going to get it in a few minutes as ML just got up from her nap. Beach house ready for issue project beat her up bad, too.
Attached Images

horsewidower likes this.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Project car can it be a money pit? http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...2&d=1463943853

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

So far I have $285 in my someday ToBe BB4. I spent $85 for title and taxes to DMV and $200 to Al for complete front and rear seats.

Steven gave me the R/R brake line so the new spare one I did pay Dean money for is in my spares inventory for another day when needed so won't count it against this 164.

I bought a new used 94LS white sun roof with good seal for the white 164L project. UPS soon to deliver so that purchase will go in another spreadsheet.

I have a good black sun roof assembly in stock I guess from Old Nero but I must have used the seal on some other 164 maybe QS2 I sold couple years ago.

As I say you can never have to many spare parts.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

MAJOR Sweat Equity on soon to be maybe BB4

Mary Lee impressed with the fact I removed head liner assembly from guest bedroom, rear seats from living room and front seats from sun room today.

Started off the day on Non-BB4 by removing sun roof assembly and trying to test spare one from Old Nero with shiny black panel. However COMMA could not make it retract just flip up vent mode.

So I removed non-shiny black panel from BB4's assembly and installed it without panel. Then I dyed carpet with SEM color coat 15303 graphite in aerosol cans (2 ea).

Then I installed new but not perfect headliner assembly I recovered using Old Nero backing panel years ago with left over material from Hancock Fabric store. It will do for "free" 164.

Then I installed rear seats , redid center console with same graphite spray.

I finally installed the rest of the $200 seats from Al.

Turned out pretty good if I must say myself. Not perfect but the price was right.

I will try to save old sun roof seal tomorrow and install it on shiny black sun roof panel.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 06-08-2016 at 11:53 PM.
post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

BB4 back out of garage today

installed repaired sun roof seal on shiny sun roof panel and installed and rigged panel early this morning.

Ended up changing both rear brake calipers and pads as lining pads paper thin and pistons fully extended.

Bleed rear brakes one at a time with jack under rear axles to get simulated weight on wheels to valve in rear cross member to stay open.

Bleed front brakes already so pretty good pedal feel now,

Used cleaner wax on good parts of paint job on sides of body. Top and deck lid not so hot, hood not mucher better

Looks good from 10 feet if not looking t top of car.

BB2 now back in garage, and white 91L waiting its turn in que.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Raked more leaves and some thought about Non-BB4 and BB2

Been awhile hasn't it. Somewhere along the way since last June I pulled out engine and tranny and then got side tracked.

Today I dug out the best set of chrome intakes and an intake plenum that was cleaned and painted.

I guess with 60+ spring fever weather this week I am getting the urge to do something Alfa related.

BB2 needed 2 qts of 20w50 Dino oil and some coolant. It has been 7 months since I changed oil and 2000 miles.

BB2 has 12,000 miles on timing belt and 5 years. So I guess I ought to change timing belt for age. But I think I will change out all pulleys and upgrade to euro pulleys and rounded tooth timing belt like I did to BB1 last year.

Here are a couple pictures I took today.

Looks like #1 and #3 intake tubes on BB2 are duller than the rest and #1 has a small dent. I guess I can swap them out with better ones I pulled out for non-BB4.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 02-07-2017 at 12:42 PM.
post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 08:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

What are you using to get the cast aluminum so clean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STILL learning.

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona
post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
What are you using to get the cast aluminum so clean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My son does the cleaning and repainting. He has a blasting cabinet and monster air compressor.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode