Alfa Romeo Forums banner

My name is Bob, and I've purchased a '91 164s

17K views 164 replies 15 participants last post by  DPeterson3 
#1 ·
Purchased from a friend, and former Delta - Sierra Alfa Club President. Ever since I rode in the car last summer, I've been looking to purchase one. I'm pleased to be able to purchase the one that got me going in the first place.

He purchased it from someone that had repainted the clear coat peeling original surface. The PO had also fitted the non S splitter because he kept hitting it.

It's in good shape, there are some minor issues that I'll work on. I look forward to the advice of the fine folks here.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Good Lord, red? Welcome to the club. If u need an Alfaholic sticker, the place in the UK sells them. Ciao, chris

#3 ·
Welcome to our merry band of 164 alfaholics!

#4 ·
Actually the ship of fools or... the SS Minnow and Mr Steve is the Captain!! ciao, chris

#6 ·
I think Bob knows that, he mentioned the previous owner changed the front spoiler because he kept hitting stuff with it. Which is something I can relate to as I pulled the whole bumper right off the left side of Red a few weeks ago on a parking curb :whistling:

Welcome to the 164 funny farm Bob.

#7 ·
Yes, very very very very RED!!! LOL

I love the exhaust note, it has an after market exhaust. I haven't turned the radio on yet.

Looks like the heater core may be going. A bit of fog on the inside of the windshield, and that odor that we all know. Coolant level warning light came on. Oh well, can't be any worse than doing a Mustang heater core. And now that Alfissimo has his site up and running again I know where to buy one.

The adventure begins. :)

#9 ·
Heretic. Blasphemer. Apostate. Forever driving in reverse.

Reactions: horsewidower
#11 ·
Given the laughter that ensued when I asked the local Auto HVAC shop to quote me a heater core change, it looks like I'll be tackling it myself. Thankfully you 164 folks are fanatic about documenting what needs to be done on these cars.

Any idea on number of hours to make this change? My order for the core will be made today; what other items should I restore/revise/change out while I do this job?

Thanks for your advice

Bob

#12 ·
Replace blower motor, too.

#14 ·
One gent just took what he said was 20 hours. I did mine in 4 ish but I'm slow and don't have A/C to deal with and moving all that junk out of the way. I did the blower motor, not the core tho now in retrospect, I should have.

Getting to the heater core was easy. Splitting the blower case and changing the fan blade was easy, just fiddly and it was this aspect that consumed most of the time. Do it all and be done with it. 300 bucks in parts tops. ciao chris

#15 ·
Wow, already got the parts from Alfissimo.

I've read and printed out all the instructions from the collective. Actually looks a lot better than a Mustang heater core. I sold a Mustang, once, because I couldn't bear to dive in and change the defective brand new core that I'd just put in.

Bob

#16 ·
Welcome and that is a lovely looking red S.

Any idea on number of hours to make this change? My order for the core will be made today; what other items should I restore/revise/change out while I do this job?
Count on many hours but with the right approach and attitude it is real fun.
With it being your first time don't try and do it all in one go.
With cool months ahead you have time to do it right.

Essential tools include a good vacuum pump, R134 pressure gauges and compressor.

This BB has all the information required for a successful A/C rebuild.

Ta,

Neville.

#17 ·
Plenty of time, now.

Due to some serendipity, the lift went up quickly. I have until the 4th to get the heater core done. Shouldn't be a problem.

Attachments

#18 ·
Procrastination ends today. Time to get going on the heater core R&R.

Heater is on in the workshop; when I went in to start I could see my breath. Hopefully it'll warm up reasonably soon.

#19 ·
Yes, being able to see my breath is the main deterrent for not finishing up the air conditioner compressor install on my black car. Even though I have the new wheels and Euro headlights and I'm itching to get it back on the road every time I go out to the garage and contemplate lying on that concrete floor I think "okay, this can wait..." after which I'll go inside and binge watch Netflix in front of the fireplace.

#20 ·
LOL

That perfectly describes my temptation.

#21 ·
The irony of having purchased a lift only to have to drape myself over a fender to fix a heater core, weighs heavy on my soul.

Rum and coke is helping.

#22 · (Edited)
EDIT: Nevermind...Got It! Just had to continue fiddling and twisting.

How do you get the big round wire connector to come apart? The one that has a bracket on the back side of the false fire wall. I've twisted it, pried at it (gingerly, but still ended up wit a bit cracked off) cussed at it, etc.

Does the middle part twist and release the two wire bundles.

After working with Mustang SVOs, I'm a bit shy about yanking and pulling on wiring bundles.

Thanks

Bob

#26 ·
EDIT:

After working with Mustang SVOs, I'm a bit shy about yanking and pulling on wiring bundles.

Bob
SVOs and 164s? What are you doing to your self? lol

The electrical on my regular foxbody is bad enough. I can't image owning an SVO. Though they do look cool though with the offset air intake.

#23 ·
cant commit from memory but something like that. Once it's apart, clean it with contact cleaner. When you put it all back together and the car acts wonky, experience says: re connect this connector. ciao, chris

#25 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I tried to turn it for about an hour. Then came in here and whined. Then went back out and twisted on it again. It finally succumbed.

#28 ·
I've read about the fun times that can be had with the SVO wiring...I looked into buying one before I decided on buying an Alfa. I bought the 164S because I felt it would be easier to work on and more reliable, and that's saying something lol

#29 ·
Off to the workshop, for today we finally slay the heater core.

Since there is no charge in the AC, I'm just going to remove the lines. Should make the removal of the blower motor and the evaporator easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.