Alfa Romeo Forums banner

help with coloring

3K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Del 
#1 ·
This is RC and Chris wants help/opinions. Seeing that you guys are a "colorful" bunch, chime in. The hood is going to be satin black or a carbon fiber type vinyl and possibly with the cross and serpent. Black will be the door frames to cover some chipping and refresh the look up there. Possible I'll have the entire upper car (roof and decklid) from the black trim redone if I can find a sample of what I like

The lower part of the car will be really dark gray. Bumpers and the lower part, up to the first body line. Prolly very close to what Jason has on his 164. The middle area between the lower body line and the upper line I'd like to add some color into the mix. I like dark cherries and reds and such and am leaning this way. I could totally flip out and do a lime green to brighten things up as I have a funky side. Or a purplish hue. The uppper trim and rear spoiler will be redone as well and I think in the dark gray to match the lower part of the car. On the rear 1/4ers I want to put the Alfa Romeo in script, maybe in red vinyl. Chime like a broken clock at midnight.... tia, ciao chris

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't screw with the hood colors, leaving it alone. In fact I wouldn't change anything. IMO, would look tarted up, like a teenager owned it.

I would be very happy if my red Milano looked like what you have now. Wish we could have gotten that color. Please don't screw with it.

#3 · (Edited)
jc96 said:
I'd like to add some color into the mix. I like dark cherries and reds and such and am leaning this way. I could totally flip out and do a lime green to brighten things up as I have a funky side. Or a purplish hue. The uppper trim and rear spoiler will be redone as well and I think in the dark gray to match the lower part of the car. On the rear 1/4ers I want to put the Alfa Romeo in script, maybe in red vinyl.
IMO, would look tarted up, like a teenager owned it.
Yup, I second that.

Wouldn't you be embarrassed getting out of a "clown car" at your local supermarket? I sure would.

#5 ·
That's what I figured, too. I wasn't going to bite and still won't. Being a subdued dude with basic black with a touch of dark gray on bottom of my 164s and touch of lighter shade of pale grayish white on my noggin which I scratched when I read his first post, wondered what he had being drinking?

#9 ·
Well, if he's joking, he fooled me, but anyway...

I'm having a hard time picturing the louder colors mentioned, unless they were worked in as some mix of the gray paint. Like Rossa the 164 got purple I believe mixed into the lowering cladding gray paint.

I would stick with the black and gray ideas, and for the rowdy type of car he's made, black paint and/or a serpent on the hood would be fine.

Between the angles of the 75 and that black trim line, there's enough going on there for me, for the most part. A few personal touches won't kill it.

Just to rile you guys up more, you should see the killer hood pins he's toying with. :grin2:

#10 ·
RE; hood pins... Not toying...ciao, chris BTW I do appreciate the honest feedback. Whether or not I'm foolin remains to be seen!! Ciao, chris

#12 ·
I'm with John...Flat black hood, ok...decals on the hood, ok...not sure what you mean by black door frame, just around the window?, if so ok, but not the whole door. Replace the color in the middle idea with some striping. My opinion anyway...

#15 ·
Not just cuz I BS with the man regularly, but I'm interested to see where it goes. I like the interior gauges and toggle switches. The exterior could be jazzed up to match his personality!

It's funny after meeting people, the posts read differently. I'm 99% sure that Del wouldn't take a swing at Chris, but but Jay and Tom...I'm not sure!:grin2:

Recalling my meeting with Del...Surprising to me he liked the aftermarket steering wheel in my 164, but hated the chrome grille that I painted out black. We got past that in about 2 seconds!

The appearance stuff is so subjective that I always find the related threads very interesting. Cringe worthy for varying reasons, but interesting.

I think we can all agree on this...

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
I think we can all agree on this...
I think this car was for sale recently. I remember seeing it and wanting the Milano (the cookie not the car lol).

As someone who was a teenager just 3 years ago, I can say that I wouldn't do any green. Here in SoCal the only green we see is on Scions and Dodge Neons with holes poked in the mufflers on purpose and with wheels that are tilted 40 degree inwards. Too Fast & the Furious for me.

Serpent decals could be cool if they were done right. I had an idea about a serpent coming out from under the hood and pulling the man inside. Kind of a beast under the hood sort of deal. I bet a local wrap company could do it pretty easy.

Congrats on the gran baby btw!

#18 · (Edited)
Nah, I wouldn't beat on anyone, but I do have likes and dislikes, just as others do. Preferences are always a personal thing. We are human after all. Sometimes I do express my likes and dislikes (I am an engineer of course, and what that implies), but no harm is ever meant.

I'm certainly not a purist when it come to car mods, but my personal taste has been to leave it stock for the most part since, through a few decades, I've seen some pretty bad mods which have tended to degrade the all around performance and visual or ergonomic ambiance of the vehicle. I did some mods on my first Alfa, but in the long run I undid them, as they ended up detracting from the purity of the original intent of the design. If I do anything now, I make sure they are reversible.

And, I just so happen to like that gray Milano color. One of the colors which makes the Milano look good/smart? I wish ours was that color.

And John, yeah, I wasn't all the fond of the blacked out grill, but it is certainly no big deal, I assure you. I'm just not fond of blacked out stuff, don't know why. I'm sure I saw a trashed Alfa some back in my past, with everything blacked out, and it's stuck with me.

The thing on top of the Milano is of course, a giant Milano cookie, which we eat regularly at home, lol.

BTW, hope you and yours can make it out someday. You have a place to crash. Lots of Alfas out here.

#19 ·
This stuff is neat. I as well liked the blacked out grill on Johns car. Door frames yest, the thin body colored ones. I have a bunch of nicks. According to the guy I got the car from, it was owned by some old dude who was a farmer and, as most Italians, viewed the car as just a car and didn't really look after it appearance wise. I'm getting the feedback I want and say thanks!!

The car is that greenish gray and is one of the reasons I bought him. There's just a lot of it and since it's going in for some aesthetic cleansing, I wanna do some "accent" do it. Tasteful of course but our definitions of taste are the variable. Somewhere around here, I have a pic of a 75 in this blueish/purple color. At first glance it was horrid but after looking at it for a while I thought it to be quite nice. RC is my fun - don't bring home to Momma - sort of car.

As a side, most of you are familiar with my job. Some lady came back in the store complaining that her tray of cookies had been opened and one was missing. Our bakery bakes some pretty good cookies and then puts them on a styro tray and plastic wraps them. Now why customers look to/for me when one or 2 go missing is beyond me. Turns out, her 5 year old had one in his pocket!! A Milano cookies is used by the BB to infiltrate my computer here in the motherland.

BTW 1st grand baby it has been determined, is a boy. Son told us last night. I sill refuse to grow up tho!! April will be here before I know it!! ciao chris

#22 ·
This is RC and Chris wants help/opinions. Black OR AR 633 GRAPHITE will be the door frames to cover some chipping and refresh the look up there. Possible I'll have the entire upper car (roof and decklid) from the black trim redone if I can find a sample of what I like

The lower part of the car will be really dark gray. AGAIN I say 633 Graphite Bumpers and the lower part, up to the first body line. Prolly very close to what Jason has on his 164. The uppper trim and rear spoiler will be redone as well and I think in the dark gray AR 633 to match the lower part of the car. Chime like a broken clock at midnight.... tia, ciao chris
My three scent worth!

#23 ·
Thanx both for the color codes and the encouragement. Grasshopper, do you or can you draw/visualize your serpent/man idea? That might be cool. I saw this on a fuel filler door a few years ago. ciao, chris

Attachments

#25 ·
Ahhh I see where yo are going with this. Thanx a bunch. PM me your email addy as I know many who might like to get in touch. I'm seeing "Mr Bill" here in the man but can definitely work with this. ciao, chris

#26 ·
Seriously though. As you may have noticed art is not my forte.

I'm not sure exactly, but I thought if you could make it look like it was coming out from under the side of the hood (like my drawing, but you know, good) that it would be cool. Dark logo on a dark car. Maybe a carbon fiber print serpent (sorta looks like scales), and a black alfa romeo logo guy? Kind of a combo of the below, except coming out of the side of the hood.

#27 ·
scary, I was thinking along the same lines in a very monochromatic look. I have some folks I know who are either artsy fartsy or just creative so will tap their brains. I can't illustrate it but vision a roundel (the logo) in whitish grey on a carbon or black background, offset and canted slightly with the snake doing something to a man or to some kind of logo yet to be determined. A friend of mine is into skin art and I think I can pick his melon and come up with something creative to take the the wrap place down the street from the body shop. This is why I ask. Thanx, ciao, chris

#28 ·
Seems my 2nd inspirational picture was delted from the web. Hopefully you saw it before it was, had a very cool faded tail thing going on. Either way great minds must think alike. Someone more talented than ourselves could draw this, i just made Mr. Bill getting eaten by a garden snake lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.