Working on 91-93 164 instrument cluster odometers; etc.... - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Guys, guys, Alfistis all it just ain't worth it to try and fix the 91-93 164 trip odometer gooey failed gear that interconnects tripper to regular odometer.

R2 I would have to do the process over again to remember how I reset mileage gears but is it really necessary?

AND yes you can reset new used speedo odometer to match your old one if it is really mandatory. I even rest one to 000000 just cuz I could. BUT tripper reader not so fast if interconnecting gear kaput.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily drivers: USA models - 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO;

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Needing TLC non-blackbeast the 93 164L

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 10-04-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I don't remember the process or who sent it to me but to I had to reset odometer mechanically by taking it apart enought to be able to spin the number wheels to change the mileage a real chore as i sort of remember.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Guys, guys, Alfistis all it just ain't worth it to try and fix the 91-93 164 trip odometer gooey failed gear that interconnects tripper to regular odometer.
I tried too and had to abandon.

Sophia (164B) has 248K miles and now I write down the mileage each time I fill up so that I know when 300 miles are up to refill again since the amber warning light comes on far too soon.

Its a way of life....

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:13 PM

I replaced the odometer in the red car yesterday with one from the deceased hit and run. The one from the red car had a poorly working solenoid, so it now sits on my storage shelf waiting for repair.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:07 AM

I trashed a cluster for a pre 95 (mechanical odo not digital) as no one claimed it as a freebee but I have the trip-odo. Plus the water, oil gauges. Free to anyone that wants them. You pay for the postage. Do they all work? Can't be sure but they are intact.
P.M. me.

Regards
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeton View Post
I trashed a cluster for a pre 95 (mechanical odo not digital) as no one claimed it as a freebee but I have the trip-odo. Plus the water, oil gauges. Free to anyone that wants them. You pay for the postage. Do they all work? Can't be sure but they are intact.
P.M. me.

Regards
Shame on you, 15 lashes with a used timing belt. You can never have to many spare parts.

I will take the trip odometer if you think the plastic trip gear has not turned to mush. PM me.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for all the great info! Guess we'll be thankful our odometer still works. But it seems we need to replace the bulb for the low beam headlight tell-tale. High beam tell-tale works, parking light tell-tale works, there is a noticeable absence when the normal headlights are on. Have replaced bulbs in the instrument cluster before, but will have to read up on it again! What are you all using for filaments in your headlights? We'd like brighter than we have - we drive on country roads with lots of deer.
VM
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:19 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Some buy used European Bosch or Elma headlights. I have a set of the Bosch on my LS. Very bright and long distance. For the 91S, I just use the slightly brighter Sylvania "Xtravision" 9004 bulbs, since that car is used mostly for developed and lower speed suburban and city streets. No deer around those near our house. And these bulbs do add a little more light.

Maybe for you, could use a set of high beam driving lights like jc96 has on his 164 in Italy.

The trouble with deer is that they can just jump up from the side of the road from lower down. That's exciting, have experienced that in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Mangan View Post
Thanks for all the great info! Guess we'll be thankful our odometer still works. But it seems we need to replace the bulb for the low beam headlight tell-tale. High beam tell-tale works, parking light tell-tale works, there is a noticeable absence when the normal headlights are on. Have replaced bulbs in the instrument cluster before, but will have to read up on it again! What are you all using for filaments in your headlights? We'd like brighter than we have - we drive on country roads with lots of deer.
VM
If your 164 is 5-speed manual then yes there is low beam icon bulb, but if car is A/T model no low beam indicator as A/T oil temp icon in that location. Duh Now, I remember you talked about clutch replacement so yes low beam icon light up on your 164.

Does anything show up in that position when you turn key on or does doing press to test button light up icon there?

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:18 PM
Gold Subscriber

I noticed today that when the key is turned to the on position all the icons come on except that one. The headlights are coming on, and the brights are working, as well as that icon. Yes, we have a 5-speed, so we should have a headlight low beam tell-tale.

Thanks for the tips on types of headlights. I know, the problem with deer is exactly as you say. In addition over here we just have lousy visibility, and not always white lines on the road edges, in addition to narrow or no shoulders.

Cheers!
VM
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:10 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

That's scary driving, esp if it is raining at night, what with no fog lines on the road edges. Been there, done that!

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Look what i got in the mail today from Beeton. That little trip odometer cog gear looks good.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

Lucky you!
VM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode