Alfa Romeo Forums banner

My experience replacing door handles

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MrT 
#1 · (Edited)
Just put in my used door handle today and here are some tips. Be sure to remove any screws you see first. The first portion of the arm rest (the one that has the mirror control in it) slides forward to remove (after you remove a small self tapping screw behind the interior door handle). This is the smaller part of the rest, the one you do not put your arm on. There is another screw behind this panel after you remove it, it is much bigger, so get that one undone and out of the way. Undo all the screws to the lower panel and remove the wires that light up ground when you open the door. Then remove the lower panel, and a few big screws underneath the arm rest. Work the upper one to give you just enough room to get to the nuts (8mm) that hold the door handle in place (read pull the panel out a bit). It is a tight spot to work in, and a pain in the neck. There is a clip that hold the upper portion of the arm rest to the door, but I could not get that loose for the life of me so I just worked in the confined area I had. The rest is just plain trying to get the nuts off, then putting it all back together. Do not bother removing the plastic panel behind the handle, it is a waste of time! Most of this job requires feeling with your hands to figure out just where these parts go. The only part you need to be concerned about is a little rod that goes from the handle to that actuator on the latch mechanism. Its trial and error. I recommend connecting the rod to the handle first, then guiding it to the mechanism, easier said then done. After all of this, screw everything back together and enjoy your new handle *(took me about 3 hours for a first time job). Now if I only would have got a new one........ Part 2 when this used one fails!

See less See more
#2 ·
The upper panel came off for me quite readily by working it from one end or the other. I think I took it off at the front. With the window down, reach in with a finger to pull up the part of the panel that holds the inner window scraper pad. It clips around the top of the door to hold the upper panel in place. Should be easy. It was for me, and I've had two doors apart a few times. The armrest is clipped into the door by a spring clip with two vertical wires. A ball at the end of the armrest upper mount pushes in between these wires and is flatter at the rear to hold it in place. You should be able to persuade the wires apart against the spring tension and remove the upper mount. You might not need to (I can't remember just now) because it might come off with the upper panel. I need to replace the driver's door latch mechanism, but that's another thread I'll probably start soon.

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.