Easy to replace door lock receiver? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 12-21-2006, 10:52 AM

Easy to replace door lock receiver?

The PO tore out the remote receiver and alarm and smashed them on the street because the false alarms drove him nuts. So my remote door locks don't work, but it seems like all the solenoids are working OK.

I'm wondering if I can just get a $50 aftermarket receiver and hook it into the doorlock circuits. They must come out under the hood someplace, or maybe in the cockpit. I happen to have one here right now. Has anyone done it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I put one in a Milano once and wired it into central lock switch in center console as I remember.
http://www.aroc-usa.org/
My Maintenance Sticky: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-...ance-tips.html

Daily drivers: USA models - 91 164L w/AT "Black Beauty I" ALFA4ME; 91 164S Black Beauty II ALFALFA

SOLD MY91 "Bianco" 164B 5-speed [My Originale], ALFISTO Movin On!
Also gone are Old Blue 91 164L, Rosso1 93 164L, Rosso2 91 164S; QS2 164L

Daughter's current ride: Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus

Current Car hauler and Parts chaser : 2000 Dodge Ram PU 5.2L V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:32 PM

The Milano we have (broken engine just now) had an aftermarket alarm system installed and it seems to work. Install problems may be why three of four doors don't open, though. The control fob says, "Sidewinder" and there seems to be a 1-800 number.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:05 AM

It looks like I have to open the console somewhere around that button for lock/unlock all doors. Then, I guess, it's a matter of hooking up to the right wires.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:55 AM

That is the way to go. Look around and you will also find a permanant power and ground source around the center console area to hook up your alarm unit. It took me 20 minutes to find and wire 2 to switch, 1 to +12v and 1 for GND, 1 to the trunk release solinoid and one to the rear taillight to blink the turn signal when armed and disarmed. Now I can lock and unlock and pop the trunk 50 ft away.

tj
Old 01-17-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp74 View Post
That is the way to go. Look around and you will also find a permanant power and ground source around the center console area to hook up your alarm unit. It took me 20 minutes to find and wire 2 to switch, 1 to +12v and 1 for GND, 1 to the trunk release solinoid and one to the rear taillight to blink the turn signal when armed and disarmed. Now I can lock and unlock and pop the trunk 50 ft away.

tj
Wow! That was fast, easy and thorough. How did you open the console? Just start taking things apart?

Is there an online FSM for the 164 that illustrates this?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
There're some descriptions and pictures in a recent thread here to take out the center console. You can first pry up some of the switches and see what underneath them.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
Wow! That was fast, easy and thorough. How did you open the console? Just start taking things apart?

actually, I didn't even have to take the center console out. I just pop out the center console switch panel to access the back of the door lock switch and also removed the side console panel (carpeted plastic panel hold in place by couple of screws) to access the wires. I found power sources around the back of the radio and ran two wires to the trunk through below the glove box and passenger side door sill.

tj
Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 PM

Couple days ago I stumbled on a thread here on the BB that explained how to get a laminated poster sized wiring diagram (handy for the shop, easy to read and oil stains wipe off) but now I can't find it, even with those clues. Also, the BB didn't tell where to get the original diagram on the net.

If I had a diagram with wiring color-coding it would be easier to find the constant-power wire for my new receiver. Can anyone tell me where I can find the 164 diagram somewhere, anywhere, on the net? I tried the obvious searches, but I Can't get no satisfaction.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Hope this helps
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/wires...o164-90-94.htm
http://www.designtech-intl.com/main....omeo&model=164
94' 164Q 5-Spd
94' 164LS Auto X2
91' 164L Auto X4
91' 164B 5-Spd
89' Milano Gold 5-spd
88' Milano Plat Auto
87' Milano Gold 5-spd
87' Milano Silver 5-spd
79' Sprint Veloce 5-spd
77' Alfetta GT 5-spd
77' Alfetta 5-spd
75' Alfetta 5-spd

societÓ di salvataggio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.