Heated Seats - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 11-01-2006, 07:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to alfar0meo
Heated Seats

Finally got the car back together and poped a new heater core in. Now Im trying to fix all the little things.

Does anybodys heated seats work? None of mine work, back or front. (My brothers dont work either...niether does the parts car ) Checked relay and fuse...both good. Have 12V at the switches.? Maybe a bad ground or bad heating elements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006, 07:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to 81gtv6 Send a message via Yahoo to 81gtv6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfar0meo
Finally got the car back together and poped a new heater core in. Now Im trying to fix all the little things.

Does anybodys heated seats work? None of mine work, back or front. (My brothers dont work either...niether does the parts car ) Checked relay and fuse...both good. Have 12V at the switches.? Maybe a bad ground or bad heating elements?
When it got really really cold i turn on the heated seats just for fun and they actually work after 60 seconds, barely, but they work. I don't know if they used to be warmer but out of the three S i have had all three barely got warm.
The rarer Recaro seats on the other hand get HOT, my moms new VW bug seats wont get as hot as these do.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Gold Subscriber

This has been discussed other times. Here is a link to a thread from a year or so ago. It has another link on it for the repair of the seats. Good Luck!! http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/17363-heated-seats.html

1972 Montreal
2005 Mercedes C240 4-Matic
2013 Ford Taurus (company car)
2008 Piaggio Fly 50
1977 Peugeot 103 Moped
------------------------
Former Italians:
1968 Fiat Dino Spider 2.0 2003 - 2013
1992 164S 2002 - 2008
1981 Spider Veloce 2001 - 2003
1974 Fiat 124 Spider 1979 - 1981
------------------------
Dad's Former Italians:
1962 Giulietta Spider 1964 - 1969
1969 Berlina 1750 1970 - 1971
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:26 AM

When I first got my 93S, I thought the seat heat did not work. But now with the colder weather I can feel the heat, though it is very subtle.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:56 AM

They suffer from four common problems:

1. The thermostat is set too close to the wires which causes them to turn off before you can actually feel the heat. The cure is to undo the seat covers from the rear and move (or remove and test) the thermostat away from the heating elements.
2. The heating elements can break from too much specific point pressure such as putting your knee on the seat while reaching to the other side or something.
3. The thermostat is bad (see #1)
4. 164 seat heaters suck.

I've owned three 164s and four pairs of front seats. NONE of them had functioning seat heaters.

Replace the entire assembly with carbon fiber heating pads and dual stage heat levels. Primo.

My Jetta seat heaters get so hot you could cook your breakfast on them. Literally.

My BMW seat heaters were similar to the Jetta's but not quite as hot but still very hot. Nice on a sore back (even though it tends to make it worse afterwards).
Old 11-01-2006, 08:59 AM

http://tinyurl.com/ykg7v5
Old 11-01-2006, 09:01 AM

Gee, Tim, if my butt ever warms up, I'll think of you!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:09 AM

It ain't warming up in THAT car!!!!!

****, missed a perfectly good dig on that on......

Last edited by quadrifoglio; 11-01-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:52 AM

LS seats do warm up pretty fast and get hot!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:32 PM

Ok, so next question would be... has anyone replaced a bad heating pad with one of the "Universal" heating pads and used the original wiring, or would you completely wire up the new pad with the wiring that comes with the new "Universal kit" Seems like one could use original wiring and make it look as original, only with one important difference, warm seats. Mine currently has no continuity in the bottom of the drivers seat and none of the seats warm up, must be wired like old fashioned christmas tree lights! I am thinking of replacing the pads with the universal ones and using the original wiring, seem doable? Anyone used a SAAB 9000 heating pad? Such as the ones you can get on eEuroParts.com? BTW, seat is set to shut off at 86* + or - 9*F and set to function at 59*F according to the wiring manual from Cardisk. 86 doesn't sound very warm and 59 is a long way down from 86 after it shuts off, so it doesn't seem to me that it would ever come back on after it shuts off just, from your warm buns on the seat?
Charles
Old 11-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

Certainly not to diss anyone, but here we buy these performance cars because they are noted for their looks, handling, and great sounding engines, etc and people are fussing about seat heaters, cruise control, cup holders, etc. Geez.

Sorry, but in one of those moods, LOL.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:02 AM

Looking For 164 S Seats

Hi guysI'm looking for either both front seats from an 164 S if tan. If you have black I'm looking for both front and rear S seats
thanks
Old 11-03-2006, 07:02 AM

MVP,

I'm not trying to put you off or be rude but a few helpful tips:

1. Let people know where you live when asking for things. It's actually a good idea to put your location AND your car model in your signature. this will save a whole slew of confusion during your stay on the BB.

2. never hijack a thread. Hijacking a thread is posting a totally unrelated question/statement/inquery in somebody else's thread. Not only is this a terrible way to get an answer it is also rude to the original poster because it removes focus from his/her original problem/statement. ALWAYS start a new thread if you have an unrelated post.

Hope this helps you in your quest for seats for your car!

Last edited by quadrifoglio; 11-03-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:18 AM

Seat heater WOULD be nice - admit it!

The L stands for "Luxury" not performance. Seat heaters are such a thing. As a high-end luxury performance automobile that cost a small fortune when new, it would be nice to keep all the original luxuries functioning (forget the headlight washers though, IMHO). Actually, one of the great things about a 164 is the luxury and performance duality. Does it really bother me a whole lot that they do not work, no, but would just be icing on the cake and a cheap solution would be further icing on the cake. Taking the seats apart does not scare me, just would like to find out if the aftermarket heating pads (such as found on eBay and online on many websites) could be used in place of OEM, may function better than original, be easier to obtain, cost less and be warmer.
Charles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.