Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Threaded fitting for oil filter was loose

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Alfisto Steve 
#1 · (Edited)
During a just-completed oil change, as I was wiping the threaded pipe in preparation for installing a new filter, I felt it turn(!) and was able to unscrew it partway with my gloved fingers. I tightened it again with a 3/8" breaker bar, an adapter and a 27mm socket. The fitting's head's flats are very shallow, requiring one hand to push the socket home/flush, while the other tightens. This was all done from below the right-front inner-fender plastic stone shields, with the wheel removed.

I have a theory as to why this may have happened now. The filter I used previously was a K&N (image 1), with a 1" hex-bolt-like protrusion, which I utilized with a box-head wrench to unscrew the filter, and it worked pretty well. This procedure, though, may have broke loose the threaded pipe as well as the filter.

I typically use a plier-type filter wrench (image 2) that squeezes/deforms the canister, slightly relieving the rubber ring of pressure on its sealing surface and thereby reducing the torque on the pipe's threads. In fact, I prefer this style of plier specifically because it seems to require the least amount of torque/effort to break the old filter loose. I may not have appreciated an additional benefit of this practice.

I would suggest checking that your fitting is tight the next time it's exposed.

Images 3 and 4 are of the threaded pipe/fitting - halfway unscrewed, and tightened again, respectively.

1: K&N filter with hex-head protrusion

2: "Crusher-style" oil filter removal pliers - not used this time...

3: fitting unscrewed

4: fitting tight again

See less See more
#2 ·
I prefer the metal band filter wrench, as it doesn't deform anything, which could possible cause other problems. Plus, it requires less space around the filter to use.

Good pictures of that area.

#3 · (Edited)
Oil cooler sealing gasket info 91-93 164 12v engines

Since you have the oil cooler pancake set up on your engine it is almost like having another screw on filter as that cooler retainer fitting is screwed onto original oil filter fitting in engine block. This option is on 164S and on later 164L engines.

The backside of that oil cooler has a special (98429617 SEALING GASKET $4.93) square cut rubber seal similiar to one on the oil filter and can leak. So you were lucky you found retainer loose and tightened it. Now be sure you don't have a leak at that gasket area.

Note: Gasket is shown as 60808327 in old parts CD was ss by 60813413 and now ss by 00984296170000 SEALING GASKET $4.93 Yes available at ARI-Orlando.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.