Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Unique: special lowering springs 164 Q4!!

10K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  jurgen59 
#1 · (Edited)
lowering springs 164 Q4!! **offer ends**

In a few days for the Dutch and German market there are rear lowering springs available for the 164 Q4 (4WD). In a springfactory in Germany they will make a small serie of these special Q4 springs which are exactly like the original springs but completely new calculated by the factory so that they will lower your car by 40mm and also they will be stronger so you won't get problems on bad roads or with heavy loads. You can't buy these springs anywhere else. They can be shipped all over the world.

These are ONLY the rear springs, the front springs are the same as the other 164's so you can combine them with one of those.

This is the only proper way to lower your 164 Q4.
Contact me for more info: frank.r.deruiter(at)planet.nl but don't wait to long because there will be only one serie, we won't make another.

#3 · (Edited)
Q4 uses completely different rear strut, It's much shorter in length so Q4 rear spring will not physically fit FWD 164 and vise versa.

I've been thinking about having it custom made by custom spring builder. There are many such companies in US and they can custom build any car spring you specify using your original spring or from scratch.

But if someone is building it in quantity, the price should be cheaper per unit, I guess I should try that first!

tj

#4 ·
nizam said:
Are the coils usable on a 164 Super 3.0 V6 24v?

Or are the rates special only for the 164Q4's electronically adjustable dampers?
You can't use them on a 'normal' 164 and this is why (don't mind the rust :D ):

Left is Q4

As you can see the REAR dampers are completely different. For you that's not a problem because you can buy your springs (almost) everywhere for a few bucks. We Q4 drivers have a big problem because those rear Q4 springs don't exist.

#5 ·
tjp74 said:
I've been thinking about having it custom made by custom spring builder. There are many such companies in US and they can custom build any car spring you specify using your original spring or from scratch.

But if someone is building it in quantity, the price should be cheaper per unit, I guess I should try that first!

tj
Custom made is the only available option (apart from modifying the original which isn't the best option). And my problem was that only 2 springs would be much to expensive. I already knew 2 people with Q4's who also wanted springs so that would be 6 springs. And that's why I have posted this on more Alfa forums because how more people will join, how lower the price will be. I'm not making money on it but this way I will have a pair of affordable springs for my Q4, and offcourse the other Q4 drivers too.

The springs are gonna be build by a German spring company who started in 1853, has DIN EN ISO 9001-2000 and also they supply direct to carmanufacturers so they springs won't be in doubtfull quality.
I won't put rubbish on my car.

#6 ·
I'm a little interested.

I've been meaning to bring up the fact that my Q4 suspension is too sluggish in "regular" mode and too stiff in sport mode -- at least for Italian roads (bumpy). Can any Q4 owners (or those that have driven one) confirm if this is normal?

Serge

#8 ·
That is not completely clear at this moment. For the amount of springs the factory quotes me a price of a little under €200 per set but as it looks now I'll exceed that amount quite a bit so expect it to be even lower.

You can compare it with a groupsbuy, the more people will join the lower the price will be for us all.

#10 ·
Thanks for the illustration. I honestly didn't know that Alfa had ALSO changed the rear suspension for the 164Q4 to accomodate the AWD system. I know they changed many other things. BTW, will having different rate springs affect the yaw sensors in the Q4's?

#11 ·
Yaw sensors usually only come into effect when a skid (spin-out) is occuring. The sensor does not provide any active feedback unless there is an emergency situation. Spring rate should have no effect on rotation rate becasue it's linear motion in the vertical; where yaw (rotational motion) is perpendicular to the ground. These sensor electronics are vibration isolated; but there is a certain frequency range that will cause resonant response of the electronics board (frequency depends on the sensor mfr's design). I dont think the resonant frequency of the rate sensor would be in the same range as the car's shock/spring dampening harmonics; but it -could- happen I suppose.

#12 ·
smytsa said:
I'm a little interested.

I've been meaning to bring up the fact that my Q4 suspension is too sluggish in "regular" mode and too stiff in sport mode -- at least for Italian roads (bumpy). Can any Q4 owners (or those that have driven one) confirm if this is normal?

Serge
I don't know how sluggish your suspension is in auto mode but is it quite soft and in corners you do get some body roll. In the sport mode it's very stiff. especialy when you compair it to auto it 's not realy comfortable but you get used to it.
But also in auto it steers in corners very thoight (as the Dutchman in Goldmember would say :D ) so if this isn't the case then you should check your bushings and other suspension/steering parts.

#15 ·
Interested are there a lot but, those who are serious and have made a real order and have made the €25.- deposit are 6 people. So I will only order springs for the people who had made the deposit.
I'll wait by the end of the month and then I will order all the springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.