What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

505Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 10541 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 PM

Garage
The 164S' battery took in full charge overnight. I'll have to wait to see if it holds.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale

Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 10541 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 AM

Broke the drivers interior door handle today when I got home from work (at 6:30am!!!) , had to wind the window down and open the door from the outside . After I few hours sleep I tackled it and the pics show what I came up with.

Since it's a public holiday here nothing is open so I was reduced to using materials I had laying around. I found some 6mm aluminum sheet so cut and bent that to shape before gluing and screwing it to the remains of the door handle. It would've taken half the time if the hacksaw wasn't blunt or if I could find my grind stones to cut the slot but it's on and it works . Now it will never break!!

Sorry for crappy pics, cell phone cam
Attached Images

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My biggest decision of the day, which one do I drive?

Current Cars
1982 Red Alfa GTV 2.0 (first car I ever bought
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
1976 Black Alfa Alfetta 1.8 Autocross car (a.k.a. the "Stealth Fighter")
1986 Silver Alfa GTV6 (bought 2 days after the 'Fetta and such a blast to drive)
post #63 of 10541 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

I have just spent all day achieving pretty well nothing on our 164. The driver's side, (RH), front window was stopping part way up and making a buzzing noise so I pulled the trim off to have a look. I came to the conclusion that the cog on the motor must have a couple of teeth missing, so I had to put the trim back on, due to not having a spare winder around. Getting the trim back on proved to be a headache because one of the armrest captive nuts kept falling out due to a bent tab caused by the screw having a slightly damaged thread and being too tight. The tab was about to break off when I tried to straighten it up so I had to get another nut off the 75 wreck. Then the plastic connectors for the speaker wires refused to tuck up out of the way to allow the trim to move into place. I fixed that problem by removing the terminals from the plastic connectors and putting them together with insulation tape around them, thereby allowing more room for the trim to slide in. I put a bit of gaffer tape behind the captive nut to stop it falling out and also put some over the door trim plastic clip to stop that falling off as well. Eventually I managed to get the trim back on again. It will have to come off again when I get another winder assembly from somewhere. That was half the day gone.
Next I decided to reassemble the rear window switch from which I lost one of the little spring loaded pins for months, only to find it again when I wasn't looking for it. It was sitting on the bench next to the vise all the time. I thought it had gone to the moon as small springs have a habit of doing. I don't know if any of you guys have tried to reassemble a series one switch, but the little rockers inside have a nasty habit of falling on their side when you pop the switch back together. After what seemed like 200 attempts I got the thing back together and working. All I achieved after all this was the ability to raise and lower the rear left hand window.

The 164 was not my favourite car today.

Current Alfas
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
!989 75 3 litre (black). Shared project with my son.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.

Past Alfas
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).

post #64 of 10541 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:29 PM

Garage
It's beginning to look a bit like Spring here in the southern US so I thought I would kick start this thread again.

The battery in the S did not survive the winter so we are sporting a brand new group 31 in the trunk.
I was having a little trouble getting the sleepy Busso kicked off. My wife was standing there giving me a funny look as I was grinding on the starter, 10 seconds on, 20 seconds off, so I rolled down the window and told her, in my best high brow New England accent: "Carbon on the valves." Let's see how many of you get that obscure reference. After a few tries she did stumble back to life and Belinda and I took her out for a burger run. Dang how I love that car! Fun stuff.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX

post #65 of 10541 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 PM

Put a new clutch slave cylinder in the 164S. Bleeding was a breeze. I used tie wire to hold the old one up as high as I could, primed the new one before I put it on, and made the swap quickly.
Leaving tomorrow morning for 3 weeks in FL to visit my 92 YO mother. She's still living on her own, but slowing down. Should be interesting.

Red 1991 164S, Black 1991 164S, Red 1987 Milano, 1972 Berlina, 1973 Berlina rebuilding SPICA engine
post #66 of 10541 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 PM

Garage
Good luck with that Richard. We're going to Texas Friday to see my wife's 83 YO dad. He's winding down a bunch this year and the wife is concerned. He's getting his house remodeled for wheel chair access.

We won't drive the S. We probably go in the new Fiat unless we have to take something big back with us. Then it will be the F-150... and all it's gasoline.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX

post #67 of 10541 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"Carbon on the valves"

Haven't heard that one in years. We used to quote that all the time after we started driving Alfas, etc. Actually still do, now and then, but hardly anyone knows it. It's from the movie "A New Leaf" starring Walter Matthau and Elaine May. Great movie, made in 1971. It went along with our "Famous Mechanics Club", an informal club we had at the time. Those were fun and innocent days.

Today's Alfa trial was waiting to hear from the mechanic about the failed power steering pump on the LS. Screeched to a halt as the car was idling, stopped the engine. He didn't call, so I will have to give him a visit tomorrow, I guess. Don't know if it's bearing failed, or it ran dry, although the reservoir was full. Could a line get plugged? Unless I can find a good used one, I'll have to get a rebuilt. First have to figure out why it failed. The car has been so reliable otherwise for 40k miles since I bought it.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 01-31-2012 at 11:13 PM.
post #68 of 10541 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to AlexGS
"Carbon on the valves" is not one I've heard before, but I can still hear my Mum saying "perhaps spray a bit of WD40 on the leads?" when I was having blocked idle jet problems years ago. It was a hot summer's day.

Well today I spent five hours removing the gearbox from my red '98 Spider... oh boy, just think of a slightly scaled-down 164 gearbox removal complete with starter motor top bolt, then add subframe removal to the list since the chassis rail isn't high enough for the gearbox to fit under.

Imagine the subframe fallen down but hung up on the central tunnel bolted rubber-mounted plates that won't come out, and cast-iron control arms, bolted down onto the subframe, whose balljoints should just drop out of the hub carriers (non-taper, with pinch bolt removed) but they don't. Imagine also the surprise of finding a speedometer sensor being tested for tensile strength because you thought it used the speed signal from the ABS (my other Spider does).

Even with the subframe still hanging there, I did eventually get the gearbox to fall off, but refitting will NOT be fun.

The gearbox comes apart tomorrow to fix the "chipped" reverse gear (a horrible bumping/grating noise in reverse). My bet is that it will be a bit more than a chipped tooth and the whole gearset will need replacing. It's a pity that the clutch has already been replaced, so there isn't the bonus of being able to do that... Just another five hours of exhilaration to look forward to...

-Alex

Momentarily Alfaless
'07 CLS 550, '09 500 Lounge Dualogic, '71 850 Coupe, '03 Stilo Abarth Selespeed

Last edited by AlexGS; 02-01-2012 at 03:06 AM.
post #69 of 10541 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to AlexGS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaVeloce View Post
We probably go in the new Fiat unless we have to take something big back with us.
You have a new FIAT 500, Larry?
I drove one in England last year and thought it was the best car FIAT's made for years... my rental was only a 1.2L 8-valve (ironically, my old 2001 Punto Sporting had the newer 1.2L 16-valve engine). The execution of the stylish interior and the modern electronics (Blue and Me, USB-stored telemetry analyses your driving later and suggests ways to improve on your miserable 54.2mpg), music and phone calls from iPhone, spoken text messages) seemed to work flawlessly and it felt much more of a car than any other in its price range. So economical yet could do 100mph!

I particularly liked the light-coloured interior (white leather steering wheel), retro and modern all at once, and the fixed-glass roof was a wonder - none of the disadvantage of a sunroof yet better looks... Gearbox was a delight to use and steering was light but if there was one fault, it was that it didn't seem the most stable in a straight line, slight sideways deviation with bumps and cross-winds. With five-hour journeys I was probably expecting a bit much from a city car.

-Alex

Momentarily Alfaless
'07 CLS 550, '09 500 Lounge Dualogic, '71 850 Coupe, '03 Stilo Abarth Selespeed

Last edited by AlexGS; 02-01-2012 at 03:20 AM.
post #70 of 10541 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:14 AM
Gold Subscriber

Good luck Alex. I don't envy you.

Current Alfas
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
!989 75 3 litre (black). Shared project with my son.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.

Past Alfas
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #71 of 10541 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 06:09 AM

Garage
Yes Alex I have one of the Prima Edizione models, the first ones they sold in the States. I love it. Ours are all powered by the 1.4 Multi-air, 101 hp. Scoots along just fine. I have not really noticed it being darty in a straight line, but my old room mate from college rented one and complained about that. Maybe I am just so used to my 164S massive torque steer that nothing bothers me. I rebuilt the left front suspension of it last year and it seems a lot better now. The S, not the 500.

My dealer call me yesterday and asked if wanted the first new Abarth 500 they're getting. I said of course I want it, I just can't afford it right now. Holding out for a new Alfa... only 2 more years.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX

post #72 of 10541 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGS View Post
You have a new FIAT 500, Larry?
I drove one in England last year and thought it was the best car FIAT's made for years... my rental was only a 1.2L 8-valve (ironically, my old 2001 Punto Sporting had the newer 1.2L 16-valve engine). The execution of the stylish interior and the modern electronics (Blue and Me, USB-stored telemetry analyses your driving later and suggests ways to improve on your miserable 54.2mpg), music and phone calls from iPhone, spoken text messages) seemed to work flawlessly and it felt much more of a car than any other in its price range. So economical yet could do 100mph!

I particularly liked the light-coloured interior (white leather steering wheel), retro and modern all at once, and the fixed-glass roof was a wonder - none of the disadvantage of a sunroof yet better looks... Gearbox was a delight to use and steering was light but if there was one fault, it was that it didn't seem the most stable in a straight line, slight sideways deviation with bumps and cross-winds. With five-hour journeys I was probably expecting a bit much from a city car.

-Alex
FWIW, I had four Alfa 164's and a 91 Alfa Spider. I now have a 500 as my daily driver and I love it. 40MPG average, fun to drive and reliable.

-Sam

"You're not a proper petrol head until you've owned an Alfa."
Jeremy Clarkson
post #73 of 10541 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Bored Member
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Parts house closed e/last year as the owner is retiring. Bought 2 steering wheels. A nice wooden unit and a more modern leather wrapped one. Got both for a ridiculously low price. B0ught the hub kit @ a place called Beps here in Italy. The leather one is a light browninsh color that wont go well w/the charcoal color interior. Wood stain guy and I were messing with his chemistry set at his shop last weekend and I asked him if his place sold coloring to make the brown black as I doubt I can make dark grey out of it. He suggested I take it to the shoe repair guys and see what they can do w/it. Spent a good time of the day figgerin out the timeframe to take it San Vito and pick shoe guys brain. Not much but that's it for Alfa stiff today

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...
post #74 of 10541 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 AM

Drove the clunker 164B to Seattle today. Waiting at the airport now.

Red 1991 164S, Black 1991 164S, Red 1987 Milano, 1972 Berlina, 1973 Berlina rebuilding SPICA engine
post #75 of 10541 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

My friend Jim just emailed me and wanted to know if I wanted to buy his nice 164L. He thinks a Fiat 500 would look nice next to his 87 Quad Spider.

I just got back from converting bath to shower at my father in laws. I was so ready to get out of my truck. ML and I played follow the leader her in Scarlett her 09 Bu and me in Rhett my 00 Ram. We were a couple of Gone with the Wind characters in our red ones burning up the highway.

Looked at both BB1 and BB2 as I brought my toothbrush, etc into garage. Hope to drive a 164 tomorrow.

Off to meet daughter for supper. She will be in one of my other two 164s.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily drivers: USA models - 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO;

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Needing TLC non-blackbeast the 93 164L

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 02-01-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: sentence structure word correction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode