What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

528Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 05:54 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Suspension R/R

Well the garage is getting some activity
Got all the parts to change out most of the rear suspension components on the LS.

Working on Alfa's, you collect a variety of supports to keep the cars happy when their off the ground.
My favorite are pine blocks, cut at a local lumber mill. There 6 inch x 6 inch stock cut at one foot lenghts. Their lightweight and have may uses. Seats, work surface, saftey supports to back up the jack stands, etc.

Use them on their sides, not standing up.
Attached Images

1994 164 LS 5 Speed
1988 Milano Verde 5 Speed
1960 Giulietta Spider
1959 Giulietta Sprint

1965 Giulia Spider [parts car now]

Last edited by multicam; 03-12-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 AM

not to mention a very good stand for your favorite hot or cold beverage...reminds me of the axe handle I used to use for various purposes, such as propping up the collapsing seat of a Fiat 131 (between rear of driver's seatback and rear seat) and to keep pressure on the brake pedal when having to bleed the brakes by myself.

1991 Spider
post #48 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Well, I was taxi driver with Black Beauty this morning to pick up Harold the piano man for our men's church breakfast and monthly community breakfast after meeting background music.

He can't get over how nice a 21 year old Alfa Romeo runs as I have given him rides in it before and in my 164B Originale.

He wonders if American automakers can claim the same fame! He has been to Italy while in the Navy. So knows what an Italian car is all about.

I assured him the USA auto makers may very well have their act together now after a long dry spell. I hope so any way.

My lawn green it up guy came by today to spray stuff to make me working harder mowing very soon and wondered if my BB was a British made car and thought it looked like a cross between a Cadillac and a BMW.

He knows I have a few of them anyway and admires them every couple months.

I broke Old Blue out of backyard for my beater car show and tell at the Italian bakery this afternoon with the car guys.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily drivers: USA models - 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO;

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Needing TLC non-blackbeast the 93 164L

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 03-12-2011 at 09:14 AM.

post #49 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Finally got to drive my 164S today. Had defroster and heat thanks to Sir Alfisto Steve's great advice and help.
Drove about 150 miles today, Loved it !!
Thank you Steve !

Had one a couple years ago, sold it, regretted it. At least I sold it to a great Alfisti/BB'er, my friend Larry. And he has driven the heck out it!
It's all good,,,,

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts

Last edited by HeavyMetalAlfa; 03-12-2011 at 04:11 PM.
post #50 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I did the stepper motors replacement on Old Blue week or so ago so I had heat and air flow out of the correct ofrices in the day today, today.

I am now working on replacing worn A/T shifter in console but lost daylight before I got done and had to dash off the Olive Garden in my truck for daughter's birthday dinner.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

post #51 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 07:25 PM

I struggled replacing my driver side headlight bulb as I can't seem to get that darn ring off....very frustrating. Cant seem to get a good grip on it due to the small confines....better luck tomorrow I hope.

94 164 LS
91 164 L (Sold)
post #52 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by planner3357 View Post
I struggled replacing my driver side headlight bulb as I can't seem to get that darn ring off....very frustrating. Cant seem to get a good grip on it due to the small confines....better luck tomorrow I hope.
Sometimes it is easier to remove headlight so you can get to that big locking ring holding that 9004 bulb in a USA carello headlight.

Or you can remove top of air cleaner and relay box behind headlight area to get more access.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #53 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
Sometimes it is easier to remove headlight so you can get to that big locking ring holding that 9004 bulb in a USA carello headlight.

Or you can remove top of air cleaner and relay box behind headlight area to get more access.
I did remove the relay box and top of air filter. I didn't want to have to remove headlight..but seems that may be the easiest way. The most frustrating thing is that I can get the ring to spin left to right....but I can't seem to get it out.

Just a couple screws to remove headlight? I haven't removed one before.

Thanks.

94 164 LS
91 164 L (Sold)
post #54 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
I did remove the relay box and top of air filter. I didn't want to have to remove headlight..but seems that may be the easiest way. The most frustrating thing is that I can get the ring to spin left to right....but I can't seem to get it out.

Just a couple screws to remove headlight? I haven't removed one before.

Thanks.
5 screws - 2 near edge of radiator under rubber flap along side of lens, one on top under rubber flap for L-shaped bracket and two in inner fender holding slotted black bracket.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #55 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
5 screws - 2 near edge of radiator under rubber flap along side of lens, one on top under rubber flap for L-shaped bracket and two in inner fender holding slotted black bracket.
I'll give it a go in the morning. Thanks Steve.

94 164 LS
91 164 L (Sold)
post #56 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
I'll give it a go in the morning. Thanks Steve.
Oh, WD-40 helps, too.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #57 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Garage
I put the center air register back in the 164S after repairing the air direction control. The left half had the follower that connects all the slats break off the one you use to adjust the air direction up and down. I just wired it back on with a black bread tie. Works great. Can't even see it. Also the left/right air direction control was stuck and I got that freed up. After I got it all put back together, the battery was stone cold dead. It was fine when I took everything apart so I hope it was not something I did. But the date code on the battery is 12/2002 so...it might well be over for that one.

Yes, Glenn, I'm enjoying the heck out of your car!!

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale

Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
post #58 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

All DIN plugs not created equal it seems

Tried to move Kenwood Radio from our wrecked 164B to Old Blue which had Alpine radio removed before I bought car at auction couple years ago.

The Kenwoord install was professional with plug and play cables plugged into original 164 radio connectors to one DIN connector but Old Blue's Alpine wiring spliced into 164 wiring so original connectors for controls and speakers has been cut out.

I did get rear windows working as both 30 amps fuses had been removed and window glass stuck from lack of use. PO had small kids so he must have removed fuses not knowing about lock out switch.

Also replaced A/T shift lever and took out some of play in cable and lever but still not 100%.

For a beater this 164 is pretty solid car and most systems work.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #59 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 07:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lee.Perna
radio install

Quote:
Tried to move Kenwood Radio from our wrecked 164B to Old Blue which had Alpine radio removed before I bought car at auction couple years ago.
Hey Steve, having fun with that radio?

Have you ever considered putting a double DIN radio in a 164? I would love to install one with built in GPS and a back-up camera. I know it would be a custom job, and I haven't had the time to tackle it yet.

As for today, I took a nice long, leisurely 257 mile drive over an 8 hours period, but I never once turned the radio on. I even have a cable to plug my iPod into, and forgot to use it. I was nice to just listen to the engine hum.

Of course, if I had the built in GPS, the trip might not have been 8 hours long.

1994 Alfa Romeo 164LS - white "Bianca"
2002 Saab 9-3 turbo convertible - black "Saabina" aka "The Beast"
post #60 of 10835 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

Back in the 164L daily driver shopping today with sunroof and windows wide open and enjoying great FL weather, after a high speed sojourn yesterday to mid-FL (Melbourne) and back in our beautifully performing ODY (Odyssey) to meet old friends for a very enjoyable meal at Meg O' Malleys.
The recent ODY EGR System maintenance has overshadowed all the required ALFA tasks.

With my day off work tomorrow (Monday) I hope to continue the Jenny / donor ALFA merge which is almost at the point of no return. IE: Engine transplant.

Ta,

Neville.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode