What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

572Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Didn't drive QS1 but did start it up

Well, didn't drive BB or get to bakery because my friend Lee from NJ called to check on Sara just as I was about to dash out the door.

He drove his 164B today for first time in a couple months he said. He has a blue one with better paint than Old Blue and has 15" Q4 wheels on it he got from Difatta years ago. They only had two left or I would have had a set, too.

Anyway, bride taking a nap after a gardening in the wind day so we can go out for Italian dinner tonight.

We are taking Old Blue for a spin.

As she is slumbering I decided to start up Sara's totaled B model. Had to use dual jumper wires on negative post of battery to get a good enough ground to rear cross member but it fired right up and runs smooth. Most everything not torn off works fine.

I had brake icons and low oil level (has plenty oil) icons on and door open indicators on. Wonder why! I noticed gas gauge not working either.

As you can see it now has 190,000 plus miles on it. It has been a super good car and she has put over 50,000 miles on it since we got it in 2005 so it served us well.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily drivers: USA models - 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO;

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Needing TLC non-blackbeast the 93 164L

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 02-19-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:42 PM

Well you got to see if the engines OK don't you? No other way to find that out. Steve, you amaze me. I didn't think you would let anything go to waste, but you never fail to amaze me with your energy.
I did a little work to mine and put some new fuel lines on my engine (again) to stop fuel leaks. Seems like I go through this exercise once a year. I went with Continental brand hose that is very firm and has a high thread count. It went on very tightly so I know that I'm not just relying on the clamps to seal up the connections. Lets hope this hose lasts longer than any I have used before and remains leak free. I got smart this time and did it right, start up the car and then pull the fuel pump relay till it dies and then begin work removing hoses. Still leaks a good bit when you loosen and remove hoses, so you have to be ready for that with rags. This 164 has been very, very trouble free and has taken up very little of my time the last few years I must say, save for fuel leaks/smells. All that work I did some time ago has paid off.
Charles

-'91 164L 5 speed 229k miles and counting
-'04 Volvo XC70 -'89 Volvo 244 "the Brick" - 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6 V8

Last edited by ChazzyD; 02-19-2011 at 06:11 PM.
post #18 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
I had brake icons and low oil level (has plenty oil) icons on and door open indicators on. Wonder why!
The brake icons may be on because the wiring and connectors on the brake pedal were dislodged on impact. I found these come on when there is a problem in that area....

post #19 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Life after death by Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by donliznev View Post
The brake icons may be on because the wiring and connectors on the brake pedal were dislodged on impact. I found these come on when there is a problem in that area....
I think lack of brake fluid in reservoir due to ripped off rear brake line has dropped float enough to set brake light and parking lever switch must have broken when brake cable broke. As for low oil light, I had bad probe in crankcase already bypassed with radio shack resistor so maybe wire to resistor snapped, too.

All in all maybe if I put Milano Verde rear wish bone under it and crimp off rear brake lines I can drive it around the yard.

If I get it out by my trailer I can cut off the buckled top and slide it into trailer to go to the scales for 0.09 per lb for the weight of it.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 02-20-2011 at 03:25 AM.
post #20 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:10 AM

Well, I could have spent time working on my 164L yesterday, as there is no shortage of things I need to fix/improve, but decided instead to take her out for a road trip on a pretty day. Did about 150 miles R/T through the country and found myself cruising at 80 mph several times effortlessly. Man, this car loves the highway, and even seemed to run better as time went on. 147,000 miles and counting....
post #21 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 02:37 PM

I took mine for a spin and I also like to refuel it before the light goes on so, I stopped by the supermarket petrol station.

I did notice it runs a bit rougher on this cheaper gas. I can't feel any vibrations when I fill at BP or GALP (major brands) stations. They're all supposed to be exactly the same 95 octane petrol. I'll give that a bit more study.

Yesterday I did fix a nasty squeaking sound I had on the steering wheel covers (the ones I took out to replace the fuel door release fuse) with some grease. I'll also fix the rear lighter this week.

88 164 2.0 Turbo 4C - (ex) 93 Citroen C15D - 94 Citroen ZX's, 1.4i, (ex) 1.9D - (ex) 96 Citroen Saxo VTS - (ex) 98 Citroen Jumper - 99 MB E220 CDI W210 - 07 Renault Clio dci
post #22 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to AlexGS
Walked across St Stephens Park wearing my Alfa Romeo yachting team jacket (which I was given for Christmas) - useful to fend off the cold, damp air here in Dublin.

Thinking of my blue 164 put away in its own garage... looking forward to sanding down the roof and repainting (at least that seems feasible now it has its own garage... the fact that I am 18,000km away is a mere technicality)...

-Alex

Momentarily Alfaless
'07 CLS 550, '09 500 Lounge Dualogic, '71 850 Coupe, '03 Stilo Abarth Selespeed
post #23 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:24 AM

Nice drive this morning in a Detroit snowstorm. The way this 164 LS handles the snow one would think it has AWD. I was passing SUVs the whole way to work!

In fact, I think it handles better then the Mountaineer I just sold.

94 164 LS
91 164 L (Sold)
post #24 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Yesterday I loaded more bent, buckled and twisted rear end sheet metal I had cut off Sara's B model into my trailer. Topped off with trunk lid complete with tree indentation along right edge.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #25 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planner3357 View Post
Nice drive this morning in a Detroit snowstorm. The way this 164 LS handles the snow one would think it has AWD. I was passing SUVs the whole way to work!

In fact, I think it handles better then the Mountaineer I just sold.
Bet you're glad we didn't swap out the snows for the summer rims...told you it it was a beast in the snow!

Bob 1960 Giulietta Spider, 1975 Alfetta Sedan, 1984 GTV/6, 1982 Spider, 1990 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V, 1988.5 Ferrari 328 GTS, 1962 Ferrari 250 GTE
post #26 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiatosca View Post
Bet you're glad we didn't swap out the snows for the summer rims...told you it it was a beast in the snow!
Totally! I was actually excited to see how well it handled in the snow. There's a ramp to get out of my underground garage and people couldn't get out.
No problem with this snow beast! And on the freeway...awesome!

Great car, thanks again!

Now...if I can only sell the 91 sitting in the garage...

94 164 LS
91 164 L (Sold)
post #27 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I washed three 164's, Ford Ranger and Chevy Bu today. Drove Black Beauty and truck to run errands.

Tonight I think we will be driving Myron's 95LS to our Alfa dinner meeting.

New Fiat Studio Dealer to bring a Fiat 500 to the meeting for show and tell.

I, as in Forrest Gump, played Lt Dan and gave our wrecked 164B a set of magic legs for rear end (Milano Verde rear axle and 164 red spare wheels).
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 02-21-2011 at 12:55 PM.
post #28 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Gold Subscriber

President's Day is done and I was able to finally spend eight quality hours on the various Alfa's...

First I applied Chazzy's (Charles') latest trick to the fuel sender light of Bella the daily driver, and I will see how that goes during the work week.
The fuel low warning light shines when it feels like....and that after I totally refurbished the tank sender unit to no avail.

Then it was on to the current merger between Jenny from the Forest and the recently acquired donor car from SC, beneath the huge Live Oaks in the garden.
It was a glorious day in NE FL.

The recipient (Jenny) is finally down to body, wiring and brake lines.
I was able to verify that the fuel and brake lines are all clear.
The bulkhead behind the firewall is redone and closed off to falling leaves etc.
I think we are ready to start relocating the donor steering rack, brake servo unit and other stuff behind the engine.

Hopefully with work deadlines now behind me I can take off a few more days and keep this ball rolling.

Lastly we ended the day washing the daily driver (Bella) before the barbeque.

It was a great Alfa day.

Ta,

Neville.
post #29 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:37 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
President's Day a great day! My 82 Spider after 18 years of hibernation is almost complete. I needed a few pieces from the PAHTs Kah, more importantly a Plastic Fuel Injector Coupling. 8 degrees -10 Wind chill, I journeyed to the back of the barn and revealed the car COOOLD!! 5 to 10 Minute intervals I reached the part, but it's stuck in the BLOCK COOOLD! Soaked and Cleaned, Probe, Cleaned and Soaked ~ 3:30 POP! It came out, rolling down my screwdriver. I Borged it. Success! A good ALFA Day!!
post #30 of 11182 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:03 AM

Paid the bill for the front brake pads replacement. Details:

Ferodo brake pads: 150
Labour: 0

Even the shop's owner was stunned with the price. Clerk said he couldn't find references for another brand (the same guy that couldn't find the sparkplug wires). They still squeak badly.

What other brands/references/prices have you got for these?
It's the 4 cylinder 2.0 turbo, with girling calipers.

88 164 2.0 Turbo 4C - (ex) 93 Citroen C15D - 94 Citroen ZX's, 1.4i, (ex) 1.9D - (ex) 96 Citroen Saxo VTS - (ex) 98 Citroen Jumper - 99 MB E220 CDI W210 - 07 Renault Clio dci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode