New Car....new member....new problems. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 01-31-2011, 05:55 PM

New Car....new member....new problems.

Hi all,
I recently picked up a 91 164 L. I am new to this forum and welcome any advice or comments as I don't know entirely what I have gotten myself into.

I do know this...my car has an exhaust leak in the rear...what do you recommend as replacement?

Also, I am going to replace the timing belt and spark plugs...tune-up. Any recommendations for the plugs?

The instrument panel lights work intermittently. What might this be? I know these girls, like a lot of euro makes are poor electrically.

Oh and my biggest question...whats the best place online for parts?

Any advice would be awesome and thank you, from Detroit!

Sorry if there is some place else I should have posted.

Last edited by planner3357; 01-31-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 PM

I would put a rear muffler section on it from an S model. They bolt right on the same, but give a slightly more pleasing (performance) sound and look better with the twin tips at only slightly higher cost. Go with the original CISAM brand from Difatta Brothers in Baltimore or Alfissimo Intl., Vick AutoSport and Centerline are good too. Welcome to our little 164 world. Be patient with her and fix her up a little at a time and it will be good to you, if you have the will, the patience and the time. The dash lights are probably easily fixable by replacing bulbs and/or checking the wire connectors on the back of the gauge pods. Ground wire to the pod have been known to give some people issues. The problem could also be at the rotary dimmer, so check that too.
Charles
Old 01-31-2011, 09:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

Plugs: Bosch Platinum are OK. No need to get carried away.

Timing belt: be sure to read everything on this site and print the template! This is an 'interference' engine and a misstep will result in costly repairs. Replace the water pump while you're there...you'll be glad you did.

The 164 has the best electrical system of any Alfa sold in the US in the 20th century. Most gremlins will clear up with regular driving (Alfas HATE being neglected!) Moisture in connectors and, to a lesser extent, corrosion on grounds are your biggest foes. This is exacerbated in cars which have sat for a while.

This time of year: drive the car, run the heat with the A/C on, dry the inside out. Things will likely improve.

Like any car from any maker, these cars have specific issues. Read the 'stickied' posts here to learn about 164 gotchas.

Several good parts houses exist. International Auto and Centerline are the largest and eldest (I've been buying from IAP since 1984.) Difatta, AR Ricambi, and alfissimo are great, too.

Read & learn here and else where on the web...164s are good cars but there aren't too many left on the road in the US. A/R sold about 6000 here but I estimate there are only 1000 still on the road here.

Currently running: 1976 Spider "Baccione" (sold - leaves the nest Nov. 4) - 2014 Ford Focus ST - 1994 164 LS - 1992 164 L (Canadian edition - currently listed on eBay)

Past Alfas: a 105, two 116's, two 162's, and two 164's.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hey guys
I'm trying to replace the major serpentine belt on my faithful parts hauler, a 95 Chev Caprice Wagon. Can someone point me to a forum on the web that's as fantastic as this one? I've been on the Automotive Forum, and I've got to admit, the alfabb has really got me spoiled.
Veronica
Old 01-31-2011, 10:33 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to AlfaVeloce
I have found useful forums for every other brand I own, jeepforum.com, f150forum.com, saabnet.com, and more, and all have been very helpful. But I haven't come across anything as good, friendly, welcoming, as the good old Alfabb.

Planner, seek and heed the counsel of Alfisto Steve, our 164 Guru.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
Old 01-31-2011, 11:11 PM
Gold Subscriber

Also, visit the 164 Digest site for more info on 164's. Much info there, more extensive than this site IMO, esp from years back when they were still bringing in the cars. Nothing wrong with this site (Steve is invaluable), but there is a ton of info and records for these cars there. Many of the questions asked here have been answered long ago on that site.

Seattle

89 Milano
91 164S
94 164LS (Q)
72 Morgan 27
Old 02-01-2011, 04:10 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Mangan View Post
Hey guys
I'm trying to replace the major serpentine belt on my faithful parts hauler, a 95 Chev Caprice Wagon. Can someone point me to a forum on the web that's as fantastic as this one? I've been on the Automotive Forum, and I've got to admit, the alfabb has really got me spoiled.
Veronica
Just did an AOL search so here are a few

Chevy Caprice Forum - Chevy Forums
Chevy Caprice Forum. Forum Options V ... Chip/electronic Key In 1995 Chevy Caprice. Does it have one? 0, MecVT, 81, 13th September 2010 - 09:33 AM ...

http://www.chevy-forum.net/Chevy-Cap...orum-f100.html - Similar
Chevy Caprice - Chevy Impala SS Forums
Chevy Caprice - General and Technical discussion for the Chevy Caprice (1965- 1996), which shares the B-Body platform with the Chevy Impala.

www.impalaforums.com/chevy-caprice/ - Similar
Caprice Forums | Chevy Caprice Forum
Information and links to Chevy Caprice car forums.

www.capriceforums.com/ - Similar
Chevrolet Caprice Forum - Topix
Chevrolet Caprice Forum. Forums and message boards for Chevrolet Caprice. Search Forum. Start a Discussion Email me when the Chevrolet Caprice Forum is ...

www.topix.com/forum/autos/chevrolet-caprice - Similar
Chevrolet Caprice PPV Videos - Chevy Caprice Forum
Sep 24, 2010 ... Advertise on the Chevy Caprice Forum. Click here to contact us. Welcome to the Chevy Caprice Forum. This site is not affiliated with ...

chevycapriceforum.com/index.php?/topic/5-chevrolet-ca... - Similar
Chevrolet Caprice Forum - CarGurus
Discuss Chevrolet Caprice autos with CarGurus owners and enthusiasts. Post questions to our community. Find answers to your questions.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/autoclu...evrolet-capric... - Similar
Chevrolet, Caprice automobile forum index
Jan 29, 2011 ... Top Searches: • caprice forum • chevrolet caprice forum • chevrolet caprice forum • chevrolet caprice 2008 • caprice 2005 • chevy caprice ...

autoforum.classifieds1000.com/Chevrolet-Caprice - Similar
Caprice - Car Forums and Automotive Chat
Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice .... Difference in Engines between Caprice Wagon LT1 and Corvette Engine Wanted: ...

www.automotiveforums.com/f1091-caprice.html - Similar
chevy caprice - Chevy Forums at Super Chevy Magazine
Feb 22, 2008 ... chevy caprice - Discuss Chevy, Tech Talk, and Chevy Technical Discussion topics in the Chevy forums at Super Chevy Magazine.

forums.superchevy.com/70/6593892/tech-talk/chevy-capr... - Similar
*Custom* 1996 Chevy Caprice - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy ...
Custom* 1996 Chevy Caprice PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds.

chevroletforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13758 - Similar
http://www.aroc-usa.org/
My Maintenance Sticky: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-...ance-tips.html

Daily drivers: USA models - 91 164L w/AT "Black Beauty I" ALFA4ME; 91 164S Black Beauty II ALFALFA

SOLD MY91 "Bianco" 164B 5-speed [My Originale], ALFISTO Movin On!
Also gone are Old Blue 91 164L, Rosso1 93 164L, Rosso2 91 164S; QS2 164L

Daughter's current ride: Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus

Current Car hauler and Parts chaser : 2000 Dodge Ram PU 5.2L V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 02-01-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:12 AM

I appreciate all the advice, I will start doing my homework.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks!

OMG you're awesome. I'm on dial-up at the moment (next time I'll attempt this car work where I have access to high-speed), so searching on-line for anything is really time-consuming, especially since there's someone trying to make money off me every time I click the wrong link. Will checkout some of the forums you found, if I'm still stuck. I think my major problem is not having the right tool on hand. Again, I chose the wrong place to do this work. At least I'm not by the side of the road in the snow....

I must say, with the help of the ALFABB, working on the 164 has been a dream, compared to working on this Chevy. What was I thinking?

Thanks again - you all are the best.

Veronica
Old 02-01-2011, 06:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to SpiralArchitect
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Mangan View Post
I must say, with the help of the ALFABB, working on the 164 has been a dream, compared to working on this Chevy. What was I thinking?

Thanks again - you all are the best.

Veronica
Maybe you'll become the next renegade that shows Detroit a finger and gets on all European vehicles.

Oh the dreams and hopes (just kidding)...

Good luck on your Chevy. Try and find a Haynes manual for it if you don't have one, it's always useful.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:13 AM

Plain old Champion 415s have been running awesome (if not better than ANY plug I have had in the car) in my L. $2 a piece and can probably even be found at your local Ace Hardware. Some 164s came from the factory with Champions installed, so no shame there.
Charles

Last edited by ChazzyD; 02-01-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to SpiralArchitect
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzyD View Post
Plain old Champion 415s have been running awesome in my L.
Reminds me of the issues I had with the Vespa 50s. It would never start easily, until I decided to hunt down an old AC Delco plug, the same as specified in the manual. Replaced the NGK for the Delco and it didn't even seem like the same bike.

And that Delco plug was decades old. It was the only one I found on the oldest parts shop in town. So much for "newer is always better".
Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 AM

to planner 3357.
If you are still looking for an exhaust I have a new Basol exhaust 2 piece in the box (center and rear muffler).If you are intrested you can e-mail me @ gianfranco.dato@att.net

Gian

84 spider
85 GTV6
93 164L
Old 02-03-2011, 01:39 PM

Did they offer the 91 L with factory spoiler and door molding graphics (Alfa Romeo Script)?

If so was this a factory/dealer option? Or did someone put them on aftermarket? I was told they were factory...what do I know?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Factory spoiler on 164S with brake light under it on trunk lid not in rear window.

Never seen Alfa script on door cladding on any 164.

Picture please of car.
http://www.aroc-usa.org/
My Maintenance Sticky: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-...ance-tips.html

Daily drivers: USA models - 91 164L w/AT "Black Beauty I" ALFA4ME; 91 164S Black Beauty II ALFALFA

SOLD MY91 "Bianco" 164B 5-speed [My Originale], ALFISTO Movin On!
Also gone are Old Blue 91 164L, Rosso1 93 164L, Rosso2 91 164S; QS2 164L

Daughter's current ride: Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus

Current Car hauler and Parts chaser : 2000 Dodge Ram PU 5.2L V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.