Cruise Control Gremlin - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 AM

Cruise Control Gremlin

The cruise control on my 91B automatic works reasonably well. But when I am in the 60-65 mph area and set the speed, it likes to accelerate another 5 - 8 mph. So if I want to cruise at 65, I need to first slow to about 60 and set the speed. It then adds another 5-8 to that. If I am going 55 - 60 or 65-70 then it only speeds up a couple of mph. It's just that 60 - 65 that gives it big problems.
My previous 91 had this same issue. Is this just part of the 164 experience or is there something to check out?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 04:14 AM

Do you just tap the set button? On mine if I set it with a tap it stays where I want it. If I push and hold it too long it will accelerate as you say.

Paul

Alfas owned/own!
81 GTV-6
83 GTV-6
86 GTV-6
87 Milano Gold
88 Milano Verde
91 164S
77 Alfetta sedan
79 Alfetta GTV(smooshed and ground up)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-25-2010, 04:54 AM

Might be the first sign of a speedometer sending unit going bad. I had one do that several years ago. It got so I couldn't use the cruise control at all, then the speedometer stopped working. When I replaced the sending unit everything started orking again.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:07 AM

I tend to push the set button vs a tap. I'll give that a try and see what happens. The sending unit might be an issue as well. I noticed a copuple of weeks ago while cruising down the freeway that the speedmoeter was dropping down into the 40mph range. It quickly recovered and I haven't noticed any problems since, but cetainly something wasn't quite right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.