Battery for 164? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 12-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Battery for 164?

Does anyone know which make/model battery is currently available in the US for a 164 - having a hard time finding one.... Thanks for the help!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

Just go to Costco and get a standard sized Kirkland for a decent price. Has worked in my 91S for years now.

Some people insist on using the OEM recommended Interstate. Those can be found, but I've never had much luck with them. The one in my LS is very weak, always has been, and the previous one in the S was short lived. The Kirkland has worked much better. The LS will soon get one as well.

Do keep in mind that if you wish to use the Interstate, there are two almost identical models, one good (I guess), and one crappy, according to a recent Consumer Reports magazine. Make sure you get the better one.

Seattle

89 Milano
91 164S
94 164LS (Q)
72 Morgan 27
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:20 PM

interstate group 31 IIRC

But no need to buy from Interstate, Kirkland AOK as Del says, I think you want right physical size, 950 CCA, and if you can get it with the vent port all the better. Steve whats the skinny here Alfa guru? PLus a lot depends on where you live. If you are in Minnesota vs San Diego for example!

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump --speedo been around at least twice -- needs new oil rings!
1995 LS Q runners Auto Green/tan 230K 100% LCD paint absolutely SHOT!
1995 LS 5 speed Green /tan 48K Q runners squadra chip 100 % LCD -- nice tight car
Misc parts laying around for 24V and 2Liter- always need more it seems
2004 Tacoma 4 door TRD (wifes car/kid hauler)- 172K
Mission Vsi, Mission Mod 2, - 20+ years of hockey on these!
radio flyer- rusty from disuse!
Old 12-09-2009, 03:23 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I now use Type 27 Milano Verde battery because BJ's wholesale stocks them and it is almost as big in size and cold cranking amps (CCA) as original type 31 bus and caterpillar battery called for in the 164.

Any good 12v battery will work but you may have to shim with wooden wedge under hold down bar to secure battery. Even Type 27 slightly lower than type 31 and requires a wedge/shim.
http://www.aroc-usa.org/ click on tech advisors to contact me by email for tech advice or use this AlfaBB 164 section or an alfabb Private Mail.

Daily drivers: USA models - 91 164L w/AT "Black Beauty I" ALFA4ME; 91 164S Black Beauty II ALFALFA

SOLD MY91 "Bianco" 164B 5-speed [My Originale], ALFISTO Movin On!
Also gone are Old Blue 91 164L, Rosso1 93 164L, Rosso2 91 164S; QS2 164L

Daughter's current ride: Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus

Current Car hauler and Parts chaser : 2000 Dodge Ram PU 5.2L V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Old 12-09-2009, 06:09 AM

I have a Interstate Group 31 installed in my LS and I would get another.
I like the vent attachment and good fit. It's a tough battery and has been discharged several times and after charging , it has come back to full capacity.
I been using it for 3 yrs.
I use OPTIMA Batteries in my smaller cars.
This post reminds me to switch the charges around today
Snowing in CT http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

1965 Giulia Spider [parts car now]
Old 12-09-2009, 06:43 AM

Not only a matter of physical size and CCA

Don't forget that the 164 battery is in the trunk, not in the engine compartment. This means that you need to be concerned about unhealthy and corrosive (to the cabin) gasses. The original battery had a vent attached to a hose going to the outside of the car to allow gasses to escape.

When I got my last battery, I got a completely sealed AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery. This type of battery can tolerate deep cycles. It is also used inside the sleeping cabs of big rig trucks, so it should be OK for health. Only problem is that it is about 50% heavier and 50% more expensive than original battery. But I believe that it will also last longer, and it is more tolerant to the car not being driven for a while if that were to ever happen.

The one I got was the original size (Group 31, I guess, as posted above). I think it was an Interstate but Interstate is not the only mfg of AGM batteries in that size.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebriz View Post
Does anyone know which make/model battery is currently available in the US for a 164 - having a hard time finding one.... Thanks for the help!
Why not upgrade. Go for the GEL battery. Optima Red Top. (can't find the part number right now for the Red.)

I put one on my wifes car which seem to eat up batteries since it sees lots of heat in the engine compartment. I have not needed to change it now in years.
No cells to die, no water to evaporate, you get the idea. Not much more money than a regular battery the 164 needs and puts out same Cold Crank amps.

Yellow top- 9051-160

* YellowTop; Deep Cycle Battery; BOXED; Grp. D31A; Cold Crank Amps 900; Crank Amps 1125; Res. Capacity 155; Ampere Hour 75; Top Terminal; L-12 13/16 in.; W-6.5 in.; H-9 3/8 in.;
* 24 Months Free Replacement Warranty
* For Off-Road/Competition/Performance/Car Audio
* Non-Spillable And Maintenance Free
* Premium Starting And Deep Cycle Power
* Vibration Resistant

Or Napa. I use NAPA and have had great luck with them. Mine typically last 5-7 years.

Jason

<-GT Bertone, Spider, 75, GTV6, 164, all New models->.
http://www.alfissimo.com Alfa Parts

Tel:+1 928-526-0549
Contact@alfissimo.com
jason@alfissimo.com
<1991' 164 QV, White- Recaro>
Old 12-09-2009, 07:56 AM

All great info - thanks! I'm in San Diego, so am not too worried about the extreme conditions, but I'll probably go with one that covers them anyways.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebriz View Post
All great info - thanks! I'm in San Diego, so am not too worried about the extreme conditions, but I'll probably go with one that covers them anyways.
I am from san Diego as well and despite not any harsh conditions it's still an old cell battery. You should get many many years out of the optima. Really never have to worry about it since it is in the trunk.

Good investment. Runs around $189+/-

Contact@alfissimo.com
jason@alfissimo.com
Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 AM

luckY guess by me!

San Diego Here Too!

Go to INterstate Batteries on right off Miramar Road, ask for TIm, and tell him Coach Bob sent you

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump --speedo been around at least twice -- needs new oil rings!
1995 LS Q runners Auto Green/tan 230K 100% LCD paint absolutely SHOT!
1995 LS 5 speed Green /tan 48K Q runners squadra chip 100 % LCD -- nice tight car
Misc parts laying around for 24V and 2Liter- always need more it seems
2004 Tacoma 4 door TRD (wifes car/kid hauler)- 172K
Mission Vsi, Mission Mod 2, - 20+ years of hockey on these!
radio flyer- rusty from disuse!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Gold Subscriber

I have an Optima Red Top in my car, bought at NAPA I don't remember how many years ago. I'm totally happy with it, and will put in another if it ever dies. Great capacity, smaller than original, and totally sealed. I have had it sitting idle for a year at a time, with just an occasional top-up charge, and it's always come up perfectly. I can't recommend them enough!

As Steve says, you'll need to maake up a wooden shim to fill the hold-down strap.

A great product.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:46 PM

My factory battery lasted 11 years so I went with another AC Delco of the correct size. That one failed after "only" 7 years which is two years longer than the usual maximum life up here in frozen Canada so I went with another AC Delco. I suspect the last AC Delco battery was overtaxed when the car was welded and left dormant for months due to delays in repairing accident and rust damage plus new rear suspension.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
My factory battery lasted 11 years so I went with another AC Delco of the correct size. That one failed after "only" 7 years which is two years longer than the usual maximum life up here in frozen Canada so I went with another AC Delco. I suspect the last AC Delco battery was overtaxed when the car was welded and left dormant for months due to delays in repairing accident and rust damage plus new rear suspension.
Mine last about 7 as well.

Contact@alfissimo.com
jason@alfissimo.com
Old 12-10-2009, 01:30 PM

Optima all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfissimo Int. View Post
Mine last about 7 as well.
GET AN OPTIMA

We've had Optima red top in a '96 Northstar STS for 7+ years with no issues. Another in the Yukon XL 6.0 for almost as many.

Batteries have not gone dead. Even when I had STS at school and would not drive for weeks, and when did - were short trips - in winter car always cranked and started. Those cars are notorious for draining batteries, too, due to the advanced alarm system and other electronic gadgetry.

I'd say get an Optima if you want worry free. I've had good luck with the battery in my "S" and it is the original type, but it came with the car. If/when replacement necessary, Optima goes in.

Shimming the battery at the box is easy with some wood (but I like styrofoam). I also like to clean the area if necessary and lay down some baking soda before reinstalling.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:22 PM

Does anybody know what's the CCA requirement for the 164? My battery seems not to have enough power when starting the car in the morning when is really cold, and just wondering if it is the wrong size for the car. It's an acdelco 1151, with 700 CCA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.