Driver's side front inner door handle inop - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Driver's side front inner door handle inop

Get in my car this morning and then need to open it again and nothing happens when I try to open it. I don't think the handle has broken but something in the latch mechanism or a rod has come off. Something has been rattling inside the door for some time now when I drive down the road and the handle has felt "funny" the past day or two when using it, so no big surprise when it stopped working this morning. Any common inner latch problems besides the common handle breakage? Anyone had a rod come loose? Maybe I can look into it later this evening or this weekend.
Charles

-'91 164L 5 speed 229k miles and counting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-'04 Volvo XC70 -'89 Volvo 244 "the Brick" - 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6 V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 AM
MrT

There is a return spring at the base of the rod. It pushes against a plastic mount that is captured in the door sheet metal. If this clip has broken (I saw that happen on a Milano) then the bottom of the rod may be free to move and it -could- move away from the door handle fork. But that fork might itself be broken. That's one of the failure modes of the inner door handles on the 164. I think all you have to take off to look is the armrest and the finisher in it of that which covers one of the armrest mounting screws. You might be able to tilt the armreset up instead of having to release the uppermost mount slug captured in the spring clip.

Michael
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to AlexGS
Yes - releasing that armrest upper mounting is worth avoiding if possible, IMHO. The way to do it easily is to remove the upper door trim panel, which you can't do until you have the armrest unscrewed anyway. The panel has a screw inside the demister vent, but also one hidden under the fabric/padding at the bottom of the panel, under the armrest, near the back of the door. Mirror trim triangle comes off too. Then, the armrest just lifts off with the panel. Guess you know all this already.

The handle fork acts on a sort of washer with a spring behind it (on the release cable), I've managed to push on the washer with my fingers to open the door, so you'll hopefully find the same. As Michael says, hopefully the end of the cable has come adrift and it will be an easy fix.

If not (and the handle fork is broken), well, at least the driver's side for you guys is the passenger's side for us, so assuming the driver's handle breaks more often, we should reach a worldwide equilibrium of barely-adequate supply. I managed to score three more spare handles a couple of months back. Someone on here also reported that 'Muggyweld' creates an acceptable repair - sorry I can't remember who

-Alex

Momentarily Alfaless
'07 CLS 550, '09 500 Lounge Dualogic, '71 850 Coupe, '03 Stilo Abarth Selespeed

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Sure enough, the fork was broken off. Luckily, I had a new one in the bag ready to go.
Charles
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-'04 Volvo XC70 -'89 Volvo 244 "the Brick" - 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6 V8
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:02 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Save that inner door handle you can add a new steel fork with a little dremel tool work on rib in handle then drill a hole and attach with small nut and screw. I have repaired two of them that way.

Also when last one broke door latch was the culprit. I took it out cleaned and lubed and door handle now takes very little effort to open door.

I need to do that to the rest of the fleet hopefully before I break another inner handle.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily drivers: USA models - 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO;

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Needing TLC non-blackbeast the 93 164L

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 09-11-2009 at 03:04 AM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

So Dremel the rib out on the middle to create a flat spot to attach a steel fork to? Sounds like a plan. This one has probably been on the car for ~50,000 miles or more. I remember, my dad had it replaced years ago. The last time the handle end broke off IIRC. The latch seems to work OK, but I might find the time to go in and take it completely out and lube it up good this weekend. I want this one to last as long as possible, since I don't know where the next one will come from. Anyone have a picture of their repair to one of these?
Charles

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I have a repaired handle sample I think I took pictures of so will post soon or take more.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daughter's current ride: BB1 my 164L and Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus is back up.

New parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 AM

I have repaired a couple of these using JB Weld. I put a little grove in both pieces, lay in a small piece of steel rod for reinforcement and slop on the epoxy. Mine are still working fine.

Randy
91 164L Auto
69 Spyder
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

I'm half tempted to reinforce my new one with small steel rod and JB weld.
Charles

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Thumbs up Alfa 164 inner door handle repair pictures (1987-1993)

I did this repair to L/H inner door handle for a 91-93 USA model but same procedure will apply to 87-93 pre facelift models. The 94-97 models uses different set up.

Little crude homemade bent in the bench vise with a hammer and hacksaw PLEASE forgive the Primitive Pete method this home boy used.

I did use an electric drill to drill holes for mounting screw and a dremel tool to trim down rib on old handle so metal repair plate would lay flush on handle.

Sample of L/H front inner handle broken pieces below the L/H front arm rest with a repaired handle ALSO also has broken flat handle and I am working on a repair for that, too as many rear inner handles also break off flat handle but not fork.

Remember two of my many sayings - you can never have to many spare parts AND never throw away an Alfa part that maybe can be repaired when you just can't find a replacement part.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 03-06-2012 at 04:57 AM.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Excellent. I appreciate the images. I was wondering how to attach the steel plate exactly and this is gold. Certainly doesn't matter if it's pretty or not. I'm glad there is a lot of extra room in the armrest for extra material on the handle. I'll probably throw in some JB for good measure as well. Thanks again Steve.
Charles

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:52 PM

How do you repair when the break is at the handle end? And, could we have this added to the maintenance sticky?

Red 1991 164S, Black 1991 164S, Red 1987 Milano, 1972 Berlina, 1973 Berlina rebuilding SPICA engine
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2 View Post
How do you repair when the break is at the handle end? And, could we have this added to the maintenance sticky?
I am still scheming on handle end repair. I have a rear one with break in middle I have a boxed rectangle sleeve I am try to fit over break like a splint.

Now the inner one I have in picture broken off flush with end of handle will take some doing with a 90 degree angle piece.

I added this thread to my sticky above.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 04:38 PM

any work yet?

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 09:17 PM

I repaired my handle with a fabricated steel fork. Lasted 3 years until the handle broke off. Had a spare, but knowing parts are drying up, I looked for a way to repair it. Muggy Weld Super Alloy 1. Solders at 350F so you can use it on pot metal. Also screwed and soldered a strip of alumimum to the backside goove to take the load when pulled. Handle still working a year later.

Tom

Last edited by iecoupe; 09-26-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode