octane rating - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 06-18-2009, 02:06 AM

octane rating

would it be harmful to use a midgrade gas of like 89 octane in a 91 164 B? im just wondering if this is a bad idea or not with prices being what they are and i dont use the car that much and dont really push it either unless om on the highway which isnt very often or should i just stick with a premium gas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 05:22 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to AlfaVeloce
Quote:
Originally Posted by david varpness View Post
would it be harmful to use a midgrade gas of like 89 octane in a 91 164 B? im just wondering if this is a bad idea or not with prices being what they are and i dont use the car that much and dont really push it either unless om on the highway which isnt very often or should i just stick with a premium gas?
David
There is a recent thread on this already. Please use search for your question, then post if you can't find a solution.

Alfisto Steve said in a previous post that he runs 87 octane in his 164B with no problems. I'd say try the regular gas, and if it knocks and / or pings on you, step up to the midgrade.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by david varpness View Post
Short answer: YES it would be harmful. Another short answer, do you think you save that much by running 89?
Calculate it. Not much difference in money but the result if used would cause mucho money for repairs or replacement of engine.
I can't understand why some people search for gas stations with 1,2 3 cents lower a gallon, makes no sense.

Your choice, save a few cents or spend thousands later.
Or run 91 like the manual says, the gas lid says, the gauge says, many posts say and what most modern performance cars need to run.

In San Diego for example 91 is $3.05 (lowest prices) and 89 is $2.98 (lowest prices)

Using 89 would cost you: $44.77 to fill the tank with 15 gallons (assuming you have a couple gallons in the tank).
Using 91 (the proper fuel): $45.75 to fill the tank.

Don't grip over a buck!!

If your going to be cheap, buy a honda you can run 87 in. You will not last long in this car being cheap or neglecting proper maintenance/fluids etc.... Sorry to say.

Hate to see another 164 bite the dust due to neglect, improper use.

One last thing, if your stuck somewhere and all they have is 89 and you need to fill up, go for it but use 91 next fill up.

<-GT Bertone, Spider, 75, GTV6, 164, all New models->.
http://www.alfissimo.com Alfa Parts

Tel:+1 928-526-0549
Contact@alfissimo.com
jason@alfissimo.com
<1991' 164 QV, White- Recaro>

Last edited by Alfissimo Int.; 06-19-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:18 AM

Last year I put in 1 step down, here that's from 93 to 89... BIG mistake! it was pinging like crazy, without even much load. I tried some octane booster to remedy that fill up which did nothing to help the pinging. Once I refilled with 93, it went completely away. I know the compression is higher in the S engines, but I was surprised just how much of an effect that had.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Gold Subscriber

I've been using 89 for 2 years now and My 164 run fine. I have just a regular 164. It seems to get better millage using 89 rather than 91+.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:20 AM

My current 91L runs on 89 with just a slight ping on warm days. I am thinking of running 91 during the summer and 89 in winter. My previous 91L had to have premium and even then pinged like crazy on hot days. Go figure.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Really depends on attitude and altitude me thinks!

This is my story and I am sticking to it - 87 octane works fine in all my 9.5:1 compression ratio 164B/L 12v V6 engines here at sea level. Would I do it in a 164S with 10:1 CR probably not. Myron runs 89 in his 95LS and it still runs like a scalded *ss dog.

My son runs 91 in his 164S.

Higher elevations and summer temps maybe you should run 89 or 91 if needed.

We all have opinions and this one is mine.
http://www.aroc-usa.org/ click on tech advisors to contact me by email for tech advice or use this AlfaBB 164 section or an alfabb Private Mail.

Daily drivers: USA models - 91 164L w/AT "Black Beauty I" ALFA4ME; 91 164S Black Beauty II ALFALFA

SOLD MY91 "Bianco" 164B 5-speed [My Originale], ALFISTO Movin On!
Also gone are Old Blue 91 164L, Rosso1 93 164L, Rosso2 91 164S; QS2 164L

Daughter's current ride: Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus

Current Car hauler and Parts chaser : 2000 Dodge Ram PU 5.2L V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Old 06-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Gold Subscriber

High altitude driving is usually not a problem, as the engine doesn't require as high an octane rating gasoline there. That's why when you travel through the Rockies (at +4000 feet), etc, the octane ratings at the pumps are lower by a couple of counts.

My 91S engine doesn't seem to like (making rattly sounds) anything less than 91 on many of the steep hills in the Seattle area. Flat lands might be ok.

The LS, with it's knock sensors, can handle 89 ok, but I put few miles on it, so I run 91, what the heck.

Our Milano, though, doesn't like 87, also making rattly sounds on hills, so we run 89 in it to quiet it down.

Seattle

89 Milano
91 164S
94 164LS (Q)
72 Morgan 27
Old 06-19-2009, 03:14 PM

would i see any benefit from using 99ron shell v power instead of 95ron std fuel. specifically a increase in fuel economy to justify the outlay?

The 99ron currently sells for 1.08 a litre as opposed to the std juice at 1.01
Old 06-20-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborblack View Post
would i see any benefit from using 99ron shell v power instead of 95ron std fuel. specifically a increase in fuel economy to justify the outlay?
If anything, I would expect a decrease in fuel economy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.