overheating problem, what cause? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 07-25-2005, 06:01 PM

overheating problem, what cause?

My 93 164 has been mostly flawless. It has 126,000 miles on the clock and has needed a tranny (auto) rebuild at 85,000 miles and steering rack redo. Last year I did the steppers and this year I'm afraid it's the heater core. Here's the story, left to idle in the driveway with the A/C on. Did some stuff in the house, went out no more that 10 minutes later and saw a horrific site. Coolant gushing out of the bottom of the engine bay, the temp way high, immediately jumped in and turned off the engine, and the smoke came gushing out of everywhere, the vents, the engine bay, the driver's and passengers' foot wells. Very disheartening. I was leaving for the weekend and could only push the car into the garage. Just got back from vacation and will have to work tomorrow, but I'm hoping to get under the car tomorrow to see what's what. A few theories, the fuse for the fans went and the car overheated popping a hose. This is a good explanation because it eliminates the heater core as the problem(?). Any other explanations? I know of the fuses by the driver's side foot well. Is the fuse for the fans located here? Are they in the engine bay? Thanks for any input.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Cooling fan 40A fuse bar located on false firewall near brake reservoir. fuse for low and high speed fan relays in fuse box.

You got shop manuals in paper or on CD?
http://www.aroc-usa.org/ click on tech advisors to contact me by email for tech advice or use this AlfaBB 164 section or an alfabb Private Mail.

Daily drivers: USA models - 91 164L w/AT "Black Beauty I" ALFA4ME; 91 164S Black Beauty II ALFALFA

SOLD MY91 "Bianco" 164B 5-speed [My Originale], ALFISTO Movin On!
Also gone are Old Blue 91 164L, Rosso1 93 164L, Rosso2 91 164S; QS2 164L

Daughter's current ride: Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus

Current Car hauler and Parts chaser : 2000 Dodge Ram PU 5.2L V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-26-2005, 03:10 AM

I don't have shop manuals period. I was going to get under the car and see if a hose blew. Do you think this scenario is feasible? There was some coolant that entered the driver's and mostly passenger's side footwells (I believe through the vents). Thanks for the input.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:41 AM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaholico
A few theories, the fuse for the fans went and the car overheated popping a hose. This is a good explanation because it eliminates the heater core as the problem(?).
In my experience, the electric fan not working is one of the most common causes for a breached cooling system. Pressure builds up in the system until the weakest link gives in. Which, unfortunately, does not rule out the heater core (or heater control valve). If it is a hose that went, you might want to consider replacing all of them.

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 07-26-2005, 05:00 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Coolant inside cabin not a good sign. If heater core let go you will disconnect both heater hoses one from engine and one from bottom of coolant tank and run a bypass hose from hose fitting coming out of back of engine to tee on bottom of coolant tank to see if rest of coolant system will hold coolant.

Once you get a solid system again and check out engine and cooling fan for proper operation be sure you use a 50/50 mixture of coolant and distilled water. Coolant to raise boiling point and Distilled water to prevent mineral impurities from tap water.
http://www.aroc-usa.org/ click on tech advisors to contact me by email for tech advice or use this AlfaBB 164 section or an alfabb Private Mail.

Daily drivers: USA models - 91 164L w/AT "Black Beauty I" ALFA4ME; 91 164S Black Beauty II ALFALFA

SOLD MY91 "Bianco" 164B 5-speed [My Originale], ALFISTO Movin On!
Also gone are Old Blue 91 164L, Rosso1 93 164L, Rosso2 91 164S; QS2 164L

Daughter's current ride: Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus

Current Car hauler and Parts chaser : 2000 Dodge Ram PU 5.2L V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.