To sell or not to sell (need your feedback people!) - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 07-22-2005, 09:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jontg428
To sell or not to sell (need your feedback people!)

Well, after going to the Moto GP races at Laguna Seca, I wanted a bike that ran for a change. I own a 1991 164L (car), and a Moto Morini 3 1/2 sport (motorcycle.) My heart is torn, as both require lots of attention, or more properly put money. The alfa has been a good car, is down at the moment til I get a fuel pump and work on the fuel injection system. The Morini is down, needs piston rings (Ihave all the other stuff) as I soft siezed it from a little too mych ignition advance. Now, after seeing the races, one has to go at some point to finance a slightly used Honda RC-51. The question, which do I sell, my fun little Italian cafe racer bike, or the luxurious 164L that seduces me on every highway jaunt. I expect bias here but try to be objective As a side note, only about 800 or so 3 1/2 sports remain in the US, give or take, and 164's? I hope this is an entertaining yet helpful thread for any that are faced with a decision like this. Thanks to all in the forum,

Jon
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2005, 10:39 PM

I've never fallen in love with a bike, so I don't know which of your two lovelies is the better for you to keep. Sorry for being unhelpful. What exactly is feeding your desire for the Honda, anyway?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-24-2005, 03:54 AM

Simple and 100% biased. KEEP the Alfa
Old 07-24-2005, 06:26 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Well, my friend Jim just added a Moto Guzzi to his Maserati Merak, Lancia Zagato, Alfa GTV and Milano collection and he has stuffed 2 cars and the cycle in his one car garage and I have 3 164s in my driveway and my other 164 and son's Maserati BiTurbo in my garage. So do you really want an subjective or objective opinion from any of us?

I did manage to sell my Alfa Spider, Milano and 2 GTV6s because with my originale owner 164 still my daily driver it seemed a no brainer to me when I had only a one car garage. Now later on, I took another way out and bought another house with double garage and 3-wide driveway but to late to get Spider, Milano and GTV6 back.

So stash the rare cycle until rainy day project time, look at your daily driver needs and love of 164. If you have another car for daily use and two wheeling is your new forte maybe you should find the 164 a good home IF YOU DON'T THINK YOU WILL MISS IT.. I sold out of Italian cars completely in 1988 and got an 85 Mercury Capri 5.0 HO, but was always looking for another Italian car until I bought my 164 new in 91.

I was once hooked on 64-65 Ford Falcons with 289/302 V-8s, too. My first new car was 65 hardtop 289 w/4-speed and I owned that car twice. I also had a 65 wagon and a 64 Ranchero but with the 164 and an El Camino in my stable I finally let the 64 Ranchero go in 96.

I went to a Saturday night cruise-in last night and a guy had a 64 Falcon Sprint convertible there so the memories came flooding back. However, I jumped into Italian cars with a Fiat 131 coupe in 1980 when I was driving a big 72 Ranchero GT.

You have a choice to make or choices to make, which is it at this point in your life?
http://www.aroc-usa.org/ click on tech advisors to contact me by email for tech advice or use this AlfaBB 164 section or an alfabb Private Mail.

Daily drivers: USA models - 91 164L w/AT "Black Beauty I" ALFA4ME; 91 164S Black Beauty II ALFALFA

SOLD MY91 "Bianco" 164B 5-speed [My Originale], ALFISTO Movin On!
Also gone are Old Blue 91 164L, Rosso1 93 164L, Rosso2 91 164S; QS2 164L

Daughter's current ride: Her Granddads 2002 Ford Taurus

Current Car hauler and Parts chaser : 2000 Dodge Ram PU 5.2L V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 07-24-2005 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jontg428
Well its not easy

I have been riding motorcycles for about 11 years, and they are a blast. My 164 is the first alfa I have owned, and being Italian, hooked me just like my moto morini did. The bonus to owning a Honda RC 51 is, first its fast, second sounds good (well not as good as a ducati), and third its reliable. My daily driver is my 1996 nissan pickup, and it has been reliable as a stone, in 5 years its been in the shop twice, and that included my college pizza dilivery days, which is more abuse then any car/truck should put up with, so in other words, I don't really need the alfa. The Morini is a cool bike, but parts are expensive, and it keep breaking, sometimes from my own fault, others just from it being old, yet others for it being Italian. Going to the moto gp races did not help much, anyone in this forum should check them out next year at Laguna Seca, they are awsome! So in short, I wish I had a bike that ran more often then not, but as I say, owning an italian car or motorcycle is like having a bad girlfriend that is good in bed, in other words, difficult to get rid of at times!
Old 07-30-2005, 12:59 PM

well I say sell the bike...that way you wont have two bikes. See, in my head, I dont include daily drivers. So its either Alfa + Honda or Morini + Honda.

KEEP THE ALFA!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.