Alfa Romeo Forums banner

164 parts getting scarce?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Alfissimo Int. 
#1 ·
I was over at my friends Sean's house, who I recently helped installing a motor and getting his 164S running, congrats man! While talking with another 164 enthusiast, we got on to the subject of parts. According to him, Alfa is really starting to pull the plug on 164 parts, as getting them from Alfa Parts Berkely and other sources is getting more difficult. This scares me in a way, just wondered how you all were fairing getting 164 parts, as this could be critical 3-5 years from now.

#3 · (Edited)
Yes. But more and more aftermarket manufacturers are making the parts.
I would say more 24V parts are going over the 12V though. Serpentine Strut is N/A from alfa. We are lucky that aftermarket is making them still.
I think there will be plenty of maintenance parts that will be available for a long time. Interior and exterior parts are going fast.
Stock up if you plan on keeping these cars for a long time. I plan to do my best to keep the supply going.

Problem with some alfa dealers left here is that that is all they buy is directly from Alfa in Florida. Not from Italy and not from Aftermarket, which means they will not carry much after the supply is gone.

I myself find all suppliers to get the parts you need. I also search through alfa dealers, distributors, shops, junk yards and so forth around Europe for parts.

It has become hard in the last 1-2 years. The economy is not just a problem here but worldwide which seems to take an effect on parts as well.

I am doing my best to keep the supply going. I may even have to start making parts...well I guess I am. LOL

I am already making 45mm intake runners now that they are N/A from Alfa. Go figure, they are such a hot item and they discontinue them??
Probably a cost issue, who knows?

Don't be scared. There are plenty of used 164's to pick from for parts.

It is not over yet. I am not even done with mine yet so there is no way I am giving up yet on my own 164.

No worries, I am here for you all and there are others that are still supplying us 164 nuts with parts as well.

If there is anything to stock up on or replace now is interior or exterior.
I myself just replaced all my A/C vents, defroster window vent and some window switches.

I have seen this happen to Austin Healey, when we owned ours. We had to sell it back in 78-79' because of no parts. Then 8-10 years later aftermarket starting making replacement parts, not you can buy anything. Do I see the 164 like this no. I do not see aftermarket as of yet manufacturing such things as Chrome trim for the LS bumpers, maybe bumpers though, A/C vents probably not but maybe shift knobs, shift boots and so forth. I see more engine, suspension, HVAC, exhaust, fuel, exterior parts (handles, mirrors, glass) and other items like this being made.

Anyways, they are going but no need to worry too much yet...
j

#7 ·
Soon. I have plenty of the boots in-stock.

Handles are my next project. If I can get them made I want to sell in pairs.

Maybe in the near future once I get these sway bars done. Taking much longer than expected.

Lots of Italian Manuf. are taking on 164 parts. But some have discontinued them too. Hit and miss. I can't say for sure what will happen, I think we are in a in between stage where alfa still supplies most of the parts, manufactures make a good amount of parts but the last car is still too new for them to go crazy with parts. I have a long list of manufacturers who make aftermarket parts. Even things like signal stalks for the 164, window regulators, electronics, but mostly Rubber suspension parts, etc..
I suspect MALO/Akron will make the S boot later.

Thanks
Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.