Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - No start mystery on Solexes

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
RogerD
Registered User
 
RogerD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 410
Update

Wanting a second set of eyes on this before I started surgery, I enlisted a good Alfa buddy. We repeated what I'd done, finding the same thing: fires on ether so spark, compression and timing are OK. Fuel to the carbs and filling float bowls, but no gas squirting when throttle linkage actuated. As pointed out above, this looks like problems in the carb guts being blocked.

We were able to get the engine running, but just on the "enrichment" circuit. Depressing the accelerator leaned things out and it would start to die. Shutting off the enrichment would kill it too. So gas is at least getting out to the enrichment circuit, but not to the acc pumps or main circuit. If I can get decent diagrams of the circuits, I could figure out where the blockage likely is, I guess.

So although I logically preferred a common cause of the problem, rather than two independent failures, it does seem to be two gunked up carbs, the common cause being the same fuel. I guess I managed to get the last gasp out of it a few weeks ago when I got it to start, but not again. The gas although "fresh" looked like dark yellow urine, not gas. I had removed all but a gallon or so before I put in fresh gas, but now it looks like I need to empty the tank and start from there. And it's carb renewal time. As I noted in a post above, I had the carbs rebuilt when I bought it 1 1/2 years ago, but, my bad, I then let it sit, regunking things. So I'll be on the phone in the morning to Centerline for a rebuild kit. A lesson, not expensive in parts, but in time. But, hey, now I get to learn about my carbs!

72 Spider 2000 (Pillarized); 72 Berlina 2000 (Italian market)
2012 FIAT 500; 2010 JSW TDI
RogerD is offline  
 
 
Replace with
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome