Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Spark jumps to radiator hose
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
I had a bad ignition problem that I finally diagnosed which is similar. On an early Giulia, the upper engine (thermostat) radiator hose has a bracket spot welded on to support and guide the plug wires. The rubber insulation on the oval steel support wore thin to metal from fretting on the bottom (only 47 years old!!) and the wires were shorting there and the spark was jumping about 1/2" from the radiator hose bracket edge to the valve cover. There is a history of electrical etching marks there where sparks were jumping around like a high school science project. These were some old wires with Bakelite plug connectors. (The Bakelite connectors say 1k ohm and the wires test out at that form end-to-end.) Changed the wires for new and no more problem, but only after replacing every ignition component (coil, cap, rotor, condenser, clean dizzy, etc.) for a long trip where a one-by-one replacement would not be possible. Now replacing pieces back one-by-one.
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (pictures)(and more) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56 (pics)(more pics) (Blog) - for the heck of it now!!!
- Mr Meconium- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (pics) - for another Euro trip?
Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black - pics - SOLD
- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (pics) - LINK
- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (pics) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog - LINK
Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog - LINK