Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - I want to buy Alfa 33 -94??
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 PM

Hi Alex, no need to apologise for your english, I am sure it is better than my version of your language, where-ever you are . In saying that, it might help us on the forum to say where you are located, as not all countries received the 33.

This is going to sound like a dumb question (so forgive me), but if you don't know what a 33 is, why would you wish to buy one ??

The 33 came out in the 80s I think (can't recall when exactly) and replaced the Alfasud. It came as a 4 door sedan and 5 door Stationwagon, with permanant all wheel drive (on some wagons anyway).

Essentially they used the same engine/driveline as the Sud, that being a 1500 boxer motor, which in the last of the 33s was replaced by the 1700.

Like all Alfas from this period they can have a range of problems. While rust, at least in Australia was less of a problem than with Suds, perhaps in Europe this may have been more of a problem.

Mechanically, they are pretty tough, although gearbox selectors with age can be a problem, also electricals. The trim quality was ok, for the period but by now unless you can find a well maintained car, it probably will be worn/shabby.

Brakes are fine on 33s in general, the handling while nice, is perhaps not quite as good as it was on the Sud. I have driven both, and I am 6'2" and have no problem in sitting in it, but I have large feet and always found driving the 33 with its small and very closely located pedals difficult. But perhaps that was just me.

As to prices, I can't comment beyond what they go for out here in Aus. They are not expensive out here.