Alfa Romeo Forums banner

GTV6 valve covers

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  elite38868 
#1 ·
Is this an unusual valve cover? All that Ive seen are smooth and not finned like this one. The car is an '84 GTV6.

Jay

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
That's the same as my GTV motor. It's an 86 and all original so that is how it left the factory. I prefer it to the smooth look and looks good painted. I don't like chrome or polished covers that look like chrome.

#5 ·
The newer style valve covers with cooling fins dissipate heat more effectively.
John.

#9 ·
81gtv6 said:
Greg, didnt the 86-89 2.5s have block letters and 87-93 3.0s have the cursive script?
You could be right. I had to go check my car and I can confirm the Alfa Romeo is in block letters. I would have put money on them being cursive script but they aren't. I've had my head under there so many times and never noticed the difference.

So mine is an 86 GTV6 with block letters and fins. Confirmed. It's handy to keep this in mind if you are thinking of buying an engine as a quick reference.

#10 ·
Jay, if that is your car it seems to be missing the backup hood (bonnet) release. Mine has a nylon emergency release that routes in front of the brake booster and into the car next to the fuses. I can't see it in this photo.

If it is your car I suggest you look into it. One of the BB members had a problem recently and had to sacrifice the hood plastic thingy to open it.

#13 ·
Cursive looks better!
Nice paint job on the valve covers SamW.
I prefer valve covers painted red or black with the writing left unpainted and the fins left unpainted.
all that paint has to hold in heat ?
oh and I also prefer no plenum at all :) .

#15 ·
Yep, the 2.5 is just cleaned with a little paint, no real heat effect, the 3.0 I painted a dark metallic grey, I think it looks better than black, but I have since painted the script red. I had to leave the plenum on though...

Attachments

#16 ·
****, I wish it had never been pointed out. Now I want to change my block letters to the cursive. Why did Alfa do that to me? Their logo is cursive so why did they put block letters on my covers!

Hey SamW, that thing would breathe much better if you unwrapped your air filter. ;)

#18 ·
I believe Alfa was using up old stock cam covers and so the change from no fins to fins with block letters to fins with cursive to fins with cursive and oil cap in different location were all done gradually and not model/year specific.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.